Cannon Question

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if its a iron cannon ill give you better then the going steel/iron scrap prices for it.prices are currently $5.50 for 100lbs.ill pay you $8.00 per 100lbs.

OP
OP
B

badbrains

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
surfmaster pi pro
I can get a few. but the buggers are heavy. still in the water for now. So in other words, I am just selling scrap? thats not so sexy

OP
OP
B

badbrains

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
surfmaster pi pro
as a matter of fact, I still dont know what their made of. i need a serious collector or something. This is not just a hunk of metal to me. and besides all this im in the caribbean. so shipping isnt an option because of the feds. unless someone knows the loopholes.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pharez,

so go down to the cannon an knock off some encrustation an see what metal it is.if its bronze then you are a rich man.if iron since you are so far away,leave them be for markers.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The real value may be either ID-ing the cannon by a combination of date marks, measurements, letters, words, serial numbers, etc.) and/or finding the possible wreck from which the cannons came.

Look for gunfounder's marks on the trunnion.

Perhaps its 'a little over the top' to say that melting a cannon down for scrap value is the same thing as destroying history--but that is where I'm coming from.
Don.....

P

paddy.mick

Scrap metal huh?
...and yet we always get our britches in a twist when archaeologists give us a hard time. I guess this would be the fabled "two steps back".
Paddy

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
PM me. I ahve been looking for an iron cannon to conserve properly and display. I do traveling lectures (locally) and have the means to transport one for educational purposes.

Let's talk.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
badbrains said:
as a matter of fact, I still dint know what their made of. i need a serious collector or something. This is not just a hunk of metal to me. and besides all this I'm in the Caribbean. so shipping isn't an option because of the feds. unless someone knows the loopholes.

With all due respect,

So in other words, you are telling us in a public forum your intentions of recovering illegally an artifact considered cultural patrimony of some country and selling it in the blackmarket.

Plus you want to know if someone has some advice on how to smuggle it from the feds.

Good luck with that.....

Sep 3, 2007
hello all...i have looked in on this site for quite some time....now, i would like to participate a little.
can anyone tell me what the value is of 30 bronze cannon is..? i know that it depends on many factors....not the least of which is what ship they came off from. believe it or not,,,i actually know the date it sank...country of origin...its' history...the name of the ship, and what it was trying to acomplish....that and much more. a big problem is: the state that i live in declares all shipwrecks belong to the state. what to do without being stepped on?
maybe, i should salvage alot of it and hide it...then contact the state, clandestinely of course, and twist its' little arm ....i am sure they would want it badly. i just simply hate the attitude of, ]doesn't matter if we haven't found it...or know if it even exists..it is mine..mine...mine...screw you!'...signed..THE STATE. what happened to capitalism?...where a person put their balls, [sorry women], to the task and reaped the reward?
i am frustrated..i want to share this very historical wreck, but i want recompense!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
diversdelight:

A lot of your questions can be answered after first checking the setting on your moral compass.

As to the value of those guns, that depends on who ends up with them: You, the black market, a school or museum or some unsuspecting buyer who has not, nor maybe cares not, to do due diligence on the provenance and legal chain of ownership.

As to your 'compensation', are you open to the idea that there are more forms of compensation than money? How about world recognition? How about the satisfaction of creating another page of history? How about the 'compensation' of seeing the faces and hearing the expressions of awe from people who might see 'your' guns on display?

You ask about 'capitalism'. From my viewpoint, capitalism was created by laws that (now) allow it. If you don't like an aspect of the law, then take a proactive stance and become an advocate to change the law; not potentially violate it.
That's my 2 cents.
Don.........

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Don-
You couldn't have said it better. My hats off to you.
Here on the 1715 scatter pattern, I personally have located...........um.........about a dozen iron cannon, many well known to local salvagers. We leave 'em in place for reference, as their value is better as a marker, than as a couple hundred dollar prize. Way hard to preserve anyway, right?
Mike
Oh...and "Moral Compass" Thank you for that, I never hear anyone point that out nowadays. We could ALL benefit by checking that item out now and again. I'm gonna dig mine out and place it close to hand. Thanks bud, good to have you around.
Mike

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
I'm speaking strictly of monetary value as I am not qualified to deal with either law or morality. If the cannon in question are bronze, try looking at www.bronzecannon.net to get an idea of value. Iron cannon probably have a negative value, as the cost of recovering and de-salting them handily exceeds their intrinsic value. Not properly conserved, they rust away to nothing. If you have a museum or university that seriously wants an iron cannon, let them worry about conservation, law, and morality. Make sure to get your salvage fee C.O.D.

Chip V.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread