Cannonball -- Civil War Era or Revolutionary Era? -- Or Fake?

Smithfield55

Dec 9, 2010
Hello -- I'm new to the forum so forgive any breaches of protocol -- Let me know if I'm posting inappropriately.

I am purchasing a "cannonball" as a gift for my eccentric brother. The seller claims that it is most likely a Revolutionary era shot. I am attaching photos (I think, I hope). It is ~5" in diameter and weighs ~20#, which seems to check out as solid cast iron. (Since it's solid, can I be pretty sure it's safe to handle??)

Unfortunately there is no history on it. I'm buying it from a guy in small town Colorado who bought it at an estate sale in Nebraska.

Assuming the photos come through on this post, you can see a variety of irregularities -- from casting? from weathering? from alteration?

Would appreciate any thoughts from this august group as to whether it's even real, and, if so, whether it's most likely Civil War era or Revolutionary era, or something else altogether.

Thanks!

Attachments

• !B9cI(nQBGk~$(KGrHqEOKpIEy+jC0SuoBM5)uYUg5!~~_3.jpg
    !B9cI(nQBGk~$(KGrHqEOKpIEy+jC0SuoBM5)uYUg5!~~_3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 608
  • !B9cITp!BGk~$(KGrHqQOKnEEy0TyCBeMBM5)uIzy1Q~~_3.jpg
    !B9cITp!BGk~$(KGrHqQOKnEEy0TyCBeMBM5)uIzy1Q~~_3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 597
  • !B9cIU2!!2k~$(KGrHqUOKooEy+jC1DCGBM5)uNgPy!~~_3.jpg
    !B9cIU2!!2k~$(KGrHqUOKooEy+jC1DCGBM5)uNgPy!~~_3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 558
  • !B9cIUW!!mk~$(KGrHqEOKpoEy+jC0u1uBM5)uLwfNQ~~_3.jpg
    !B9cIUW!!mk~$(KGrHqEOKpoEy+jC0u1uBM5)uLwfNQ~~_3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 482
  • !B9cIVtg!Wk~$(KGrHqYOKjoEzJV!tFsrBM5)uQ0JZw~~_3.jpg
    !B9cIVtg!Wk~$(KGrHqYOKjoEzJV!tFsrBM5)uQ0JZw~~_3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 505
  • !B9cIW1QB2k~$(KGrHqEOKowEy+jC4(y!BM5)uVRTpQ~~_3.jpg
    !B9cIW1QB2k~$(KGrHqEOKowEy+jC4(y!BM5)uVRTpQ~~_3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 544

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that mite be a ball from a ball mill used to crush ore...

twomtns2002

Jun 30, 2010
Area 51
;D :read2:
That is a Revolutionary War era ball. There was alot of fighting out here in the SW and Colorado/Durango was one of the few USA Victories in the early going. The communications and supply lines were long and discontinued by blockade...like the Baja Gulf incident (short story being worked On)
There was a surrender out in Las Vegas as a result of the blockade and lack of ammo.

We have a location for the Rev War era stash that has the device Franklin was using for electrical experiments in it. (was there last time I looked)

That ball in the photo should be xrayed...they built stones and balls with stuff inside, maybe a couple continentals?
They ran out of ammo out here (Currently in Yuma) and used rocks or what ever they could find, chain etc.

IN response to the question...what countries were fighting, that is a good question and it may never be answered properly, except to say that they were fighting for America.
German and Irish mercenaries were common, and out here the Austrailians could see a way to get to the California coast and fight in Nevada or Arizona, Colorado.
French, Belgian African , just about any group could be interested in a fight if it meant a grant or priviledge, and a part of the war effort was always to encourage desertion and re-enlistment on both sides, in that way, yes, it is similar to the Civil War, butt NO..make no mistake the Revolution was fought out here, and we have the proof for a price. Investment and Grants or Fellowship wanted.The cache Hoang Ho Consulting Treasure/recycle Div talks of is in a delicate part of the Las Vegas area parks area(US Govt) It should be more public, but it isn't, it could stay where it is and attract a lot of tourists,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treasurerecyclingdevelopment

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What countries were fighting the Revolutionary war out in Colorado? That's a new one on me. Are you sure you don't mean the Civil War? :dontknow: Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread