Cannonballs from northern Michigan

darcyd

Sep 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks,

I'm new to this site but joined hoping some of the knowledgable people here could help me out. I recently bought four cannonballs that I was told came from northern Michigan. They are iron, approximately 2.5 inches in diameter, weigh about three pounds. There is a seam line that runs around the circumference of the ball, and each has a "nipple" for lack of a better word, an extra bit of iron from where the molten iron was poured into the mold.

My questions are these: Does anyone know of any battles in northern Michigan that could have occured in the 19th century? My modest research shows there were no Civil War battles in Michigan, and the war of 1812 battles occured in southern Michigan. How did they get there? I also want to be sure they are authentic, but the seller, whom I trust, personally cleaned all the natural gunk off them with a wire brush, so I believe the story about them being buried. They look and feel right to me, but how do I confirm this? Also, wouldn't the nipple need to be ground down before being put in a cannon? Could these be from a foundry that manufactured them, but never completed the finishing process?

Any input you guys and girls could provide would be greatly appreciated. I can provide photos if required, if this site allows for that and if I can work the technology correctly. I offer my thanks in advance and look forward to any and all comments and questions.

Regards,

Darcyd

Upvote 0

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's quite possible that they are "mill balls" used to pulverize ore or other material (talcum powder, gypsum, whatever), and Michigan does have a significant mining history. Hopefully they are indeed old projectiles but don't get your hopes up.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some times the "fakes" were hand weight - old dumbells and they cut the hand bar off leaving a nub or nipple - you would never fire a ball with anything sticking out from it - would ruin your barrel - so you may have fakes

OP
OP
D

darcyd

Sep 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to both commenters, you've steered me in the right direction. I've looked up cast iron mill balls, and that's what they appear to be, same nubs and all, same look, lacking the smooth, fairly perfect sphere shape of a genuine cannonball. I was hoping they'd be weaponry, but I'd rather know the truth. Much obliged to both responders for your input.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread