Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Bill

Mar 19, 2003
Cocoa Beach
Larsmed, that is a very cool picture of a concrete cannon. However, on my last dive on the San Pedro, I recovered a spoon about eighteen inches deep, slightly covered with coral. After cleaning, I revealed a stamp mark on the back of the handle.
MADE IN CHINA............. An earlier salvor had lost his eating ware.

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Bill

haha go figure! I can imagine the salvors leave other things too , like maybe a metal detector! ..only dreaming..llol....Hope you and everyone else enjoys the pics and the history!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
With all of the iron cannon available in Florida, does it make sense that the states uses fake, concrete ones on these archaeological sites?

They actually removed a few iron cannon from the 1715 fleet wrecks and moved them down to the keys (Pennekamp maybe?) and replaced them with concrete ones, like on the Urca De Lima site.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Tom,

I think they removed the cannon and replaced them with concrete ones to keep the misfits from steeling them to sell.

Robert

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like looking at fake artifacts.just go to the state owned mclarty museum in sebastian.everything in there is fake.an they even charge $2.00 to see it!

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
For those who are interested in history, the website I have provided is an excellent tool. Hmm fake cannons, I do not know. Maybe one of you guys who seem to know that the artifacts from the website are fake, can actually get the information about the artifact from the site to post..

HH

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dear Doubting Larsmed ::)

Here is the 'fake cannon' documentation support you desired:

San Pedro's ballast mound is located in a sand pocket surrounded by grass in 18 feet of water. The wrecksite is ringed with six mooring buoys that encourage visitation and protect the site from anchor damage. Seven replica cannons and a contemporary anchor were placed on the site to provide visitors with a visual representation of the shipwreck as it appeared before being disturbed.

http://www.flheritage.com/archaeology/underwater/galleontrail/ShipwreckPages/shipwreckHome.htm

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Talking about cannons have you been to St Augustine and seen all the old rusty canons being used as fence post or property markers. These I believe came from the fort.
The whole town is covered with them.
I was there this past year with some friends who wanted to see the Fort. When the have finished one of the guys walked in the moat and found a pottery sherd. I made him drop it and get out of there. Then I explained what could happen if a Ranger saw him pick up this piece of pottery. They were dumd founded.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread