Cant believe I missed this large copper!

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not making this up... I was going back and forth over a very marginal signal, when I saw something move through the corner of my eye. I looked down and this copper head crawled from between my boots (not snake boots).

Don't see it? It's there. Zoom in.

It's easy to see why they're not easy to see.
copper head.jpg

Upvote 24

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wth! All set with that.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, what did the marginal signal end up being?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Copperheads have a bad rap. They're very docile, and SCARED of you, and just want to get away. I caught and released several out of my back yard a couple years ago, and they never struck at me. Just wanted to get away. Rattlesnakes have a shorter fuse, I think.

Glad you didn't step on it, that's a good sized one!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they give off the odor of cucumbers--- smell that --move away......slowly

RelicMaster777

Jul 8, 2018
Gold Cost Long Island n.y. Fema region II
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Equinox 800
Equinox600
Makro Multi Kruzer
Garret ATpro
Garret ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copperheads have a bad rap. They're very docile, and SCARED of you, and just want to get away. I caught and released several out of my back yard a couple years ago, and they never struck at me. Just wanted to get away. Rattlesnakes have a shorter fuse, I think.

I agree. I've caught a few in the wood shed and released them in the woods. keeps the rats and mice away. I have no problem with most snakes, unless it's like a coral snake.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like living here. No poisonous snakes. Nothing in the woods that could rip you to shreds. Maybe a big buck in rut but that's not likely. Be careful out there, where ever you are! Gary

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one in my wood pile, seemed neighborly. I left him alone and he left me alone:icon_thumleft:

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disagree about them getting a bad rap. I have a $1400 emergency vet bill for my dog who was bit by one to prove it.
It held it's ground and didn't try flee as I killed it with a shovel. Their bites have killed several dogs and cats in our neighborhood. Terrible creatures.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i would be in trouble , I have looked at that pic three times now and still can't see lt..

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

I have found it to be the other way around. Copperheads will lay-in-wait while rattlesnake at least give a fair warning. I am no fan of the copperheads at all.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, what did the marginal signal end up being?
I was debating whether to dig it, when I saw the snake. I let it get clear, took the photo, and then went to tell my friends, that I had almost stepped on a copperhead. So, that cob coin that was turned on its edge, under a tree root, is still in the ground.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Agreed. This one seemed very calm. I let it go on its way.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am not a fan of any kind whatsoever of No Shoulders.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not going back in the woods till December! I would have had to take a tranquilizer after that and probably clean my pants!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Disagree about them getting a bad rap. I have a $1400 emergency vet bill for my dog who was bit by one to prove it.
It held it's ground and didn't try flee as I killed it with a shovel. Their bites have killed several dogs and cats in our neighborhood. Terrible creatures.

Didn't mean to imply they weren't dangerous, or that I'd like to make them a pet. Sorry about your dog. I have had to kill them before, myself.

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Currently Fisher F75LTD SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so glad that I don't have to deal with those. Or black widow's or brown recluse etc. All I deal with is rain, coyotes, a bear that once got between me and the truck, and the occasional ghost at an old homestead.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran over one in the driveway , only hit it's tail so I got out to finish it off. the copperhead turned and came at me as I exited the truck. I went up over the rear wheel into the bed of the truck and found something nice and heavy to drop on it.
I could hear the teeth hitting on the steel bar I dropped across it's back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread