Cant tell if this is gold

933homeplate

Jun 20, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1953 Kaiser Jeep opened in Canada-In 1969 it closed. My dad was a painter and had always been friends with the President of the company. When it closed he asked my dad to clean out his office and keep anything he wanted. He took his paperweight for one. Looks like gold but I`m guessing-any thoughts ? Really dont want to drill it out. One of a kind.

Welcome to the party. Looks like gold but the only way to tell would be to find out more info on who made the paperweight. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

It should be stamp on the bottom of the jeep, use your metal detector , see what it says. Weigh it. It's incased in plastic or glass.

There are gold test kits...

Its cool, any Jeep fan (and there are a lot) would love to have it.

Its tough without any markings. It could have been an award from Jeep to the President or more likely due to its size an award given to salesmen who reached a certain sales goal. I've seen similar ones that were not gold (Ark of Covenant), but they sure look real.

It`s encased in plastic. Made in 1953 as far as I know and only one president of the company and the only plant. After they folded up they were moved out of the country. Gonna be hard to trace back.

I would think it might be rare and worth more than what probably is gold plate.

I Jeep guy would go nuts for it. At auction I would think hundreds$$. Maybe show a picture on a Jeep forum. There's probably one out there.

I Jeep guy would go nuts for it. At auction I would think hundreds$$. Maybe show a picture on a Jeep forum. There's probably one out there.

I Agree, try to research more about it. A jeep collector would go crazy for it. This would cost a lot of $$$ for sure. :occasion14:

It doesn't look gold to my eye. More likely silver gilt or gold plated base metal.
The pitted nature of the surface isn't what I would expect from a gold one... it doesn't look like porosity from casting but akin to the finish seen on costume jewellery.
I still think it is an attractive and unusual object though...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back