Canteen recovered at Spanish Fort

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
I came across this one by luck. This was discovered by the home owner when he built his house in Spanish Fort in 1950. He kept it until old age where by luck I was able to acquire it. His house was built right on top of a trench.

MichaelB

Attachments

• Spanish Fort Canteen.jpg
    Spanish Fort Canteen.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 578
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelB

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
It was found about 150 feet east of Red Fort.

The battle was in 1865.

A local dealer has authenticated this item as authenic for me.

THanks.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool Michael.

Congrats !

jeff

OP
OP
MichaelB

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
No paint. The area where it was found is full of good old fashioned red clay (thus the name Red Fort). My guess is over time the clay added theredish tint. It has the same color inside the spout.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find!!! :o

I assume this is Spanish Fort, Alabama....?

I wonder what else could be there!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
MichaelB

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
The last major untouched section of the battle of SPanish Fort is being developed for houses. I asked the owner if I could check the area before he started flattening everything but he said he used to do that but the "relic guys" left such a mess that he just cut them all off. As I was talking to him they were filling in the last remnents of a trench. I thought I would throw up on the spot :P

He told me the last guy he let out there found 50 mini balls in an afternoon. There is no telling what is out there. OK I am sick to my stomach again.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice canteen, to bad the developer is such a fool!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a shame. I used to hunt there in the early 90s. Last time I went through there there were so many houses I could not believe it. I wish I would of had a good detector back then.No telling how much stuff I have walked over and not detected. :'(

OP
OP
MichaelB

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
I took this item to the Antique Roadshow in Mobile, AL this morning. They had never seen an intact canteen from this area. I saw a ton of unbelievable Civil War guns and documents from old familes that have a long history here is South Alabama. I learned the value of several smaller items. It was a great experience. I recommend itif anyone ever gets a chance.

MichaelB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread