pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Met up with ANTIQUARIAN once again with the intention to hunt the Railway Station site that we had hit a couple of weeks ago. Well we arrived to find that the farmer hadn't done anything to the corn stalks!:BangHead:There they stood in all their glory waiting to mess up the day of swinging. There we stood at the other end of this huge field trying to think of a plan and I commented that a tannery once stood across the street in which a beautiful limestone building still stood. I said maybe there might of been some action in the corner of the field we were standing in front. So Dave suggested that we have a look see for glass & pottery, none to be seen so we grabbed the gear out of the vehicles and started to get iron everywhere, within a few minutes I had a sweet NON AT PRO 12-42 on the ETRAC :) out pops a 1814 Wellington Half Penny Token, then I think I got a button, then a 1816 Isaac Brock Token, followed by a War 1812 Royal Sappers & Miners Button, then it was almost over. I managed the pewter button that was pretty beat, and a few flat buttons, a great bubble button from one our dug holes :). 4 hrs of chopping stalks then off to the station site for a few lead seals and lots of iron. The day really kind off started rough for both of us, myself forgetting a cap for the head and what turned into getting an awesome new cap from Dave! Thanks buddy you save me from getting the brains cooked.I hope you were happy with the hunt. Enough said here's some pictures.

1814 Wellington Token Here's what they look like.
IMG_20150521_092903301.jpg token-wellington-half-penny-1814.jpg

1816 Isaac Brock Token laying in the dirt. Here's another picture of what they look like.

IMG_20150521_093657281.jpg token-isaac-brock-half-penny-1816.jpg

Here the mitt full of the finds

P1010717.JPG

Not to say there wasn't trash and iron, what made it back to the truck. Lots of the station iron iron went back to the fence line.

P1010715.JPG

Upvote 9
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of the problems here is there's MANY fields that are low % ones for old sites, and it's not really worth the time to stop to get permission to try them because most times out of 10 you're not going to find enough to keep you there. These are mostly sites away from the water, and those on the water, it's starting to feel like we've been everywhere. So in either case I think research is really the way to go. I almost always have ideas lined up but it's always interesting because it's crazy how many times we end up somewhere that was not even on the radar.... but I don't mind it as the adventure is part of the fun.

So true IP, as the tannery and this site are a 1/4 mile from the water course it seems a bit strange as the tannery would of needed a large source of water in the tanning process. Then again there's things that don't add up for certain sites or make any sense why they built where they did when there was an obvious better option near by. Then again that's what makes some found sites a better day than the ones that we have researched. But there's many that don't hold the interest as the finds aren't there no matter how one tries.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Abe, I wish that we had the history that your able to detect on and given the history we're able to access I feel the 1812 and the Loyalist settlements is just about it. I wish I could see what was on the pewter button as I feel it might of been something pretty nice.

There's lots that can come out of a Loyalist site that you'd need a tree coin, or a handful of them, to equal! 17th century sites are interesting because it's about as old as it gets, plus it is the idea place to get MA silver and some real cool early artifacts, but make no mistake if you were given a chance between hunting a loaded Loyalist site, and a loaded typical mid. 1600s site, I think you'd be a fool to not chose the Loyalist one. Keeping in mind I am taking more about the early sites where soldiers settled and not a civilian Loyalist.... but for me it's an easy choice!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true IP, as the tannery and this site are a 1/4 mile from the water course it seems a bit strange as the tannery would of needed a large source of water in the tanning process. Then again there's things that don't add up for certain sites or make any sense why they built where they did when there was an obvious better option near by. Then again that's what makes some found sites a better day than the ones that we have researched. But there's many that don't hold the interest as the finds aren't there no matter how one tries.

Yes, and one thought I had on those weird locations is maybe it was where there was a fire, so easier to clear the land.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's lots that can come out of a Loyalist site that you'd need a tree coin, or a handful of them, to equal! 17th century sites are interesting because it's about as old as it gets, plus it is the idea place to get MA silver and some real cool early artifacts, but make no mistake if you were given a chance between hunting a loaded Loyalist site, and a loaded typical mid. 1600s site, I think you'd be a fool to not chose the Loyalist one. Keeping in mind I am taking more about the early sites where soldiers settled and not a civilian Loyalist.... but for me it's an easy choice!

I would think that most of the sites are just that civilian Loyalists that were given land grants. That been said I live on the edge of a site that had a 24/7 block house(1830's) that had guards for decades, and the only thing military has been a 54 regiment button from my 13 acre field that also had a brickworks on it, totally sucked in thinking I was going to be in the finds department heaven, iron, nails, 4 little pieces of brass. :(

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that most of the sites are just that civilian Loyalists that were given land grants. That been said I live on the edge of a site that had a 24/7 block house(1830's) that had guards for decades, and the only thing military has been a 54 regiment button from my 13 acre field that also had a brickworks on it, totally sucked in thinking I was going to be in the finds department heaven, iron, nails, 4 little pieces of brass. :(

Most Loyalist sites here were soldiers, but one comes to mind that wasn't. and was still great! The majority of the military buttons were 1812, but one Rev War was mixed in. I wish the stuff would grow back at that place!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well said. I can't tell you how many times I've been so excited to hunt a spot and been left very disappointed. Then on some random walk through the woods I hit a great colonial spot.
Great job Pep. Good to see a couple of my favorite Tnetters out killing it. Really crazy that you both found what sounds like a great military button

It was great getting a button each, I'm sure when the field gets turned there will more finds as there lurking down below and it's getting really dry up here already.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread