Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier this summer I had the very good fortune to find a Capped Bust half dollar. For me, finding a " capped" anything was an absolute thrill. I never thought I would ever be able to experience that same rush of emotion...until it happened again yesterday. For the past three weekends I have been working a new site that has produced a great mix of old coins. Weekend #1: 1877 Seated dime, 1898 Barber dime, 1953 & 1954 Roosevelt dimes, 1901 Indian cent, and a no date large cent. Weekend #2: 1892-O & 1901 Barber dimes. I returned yesterday for my third hunt. The first hour was very slow going... a couple of wheats, and 29 cents in clad. Then I got a solid, repeatable tone on my AT-Pro which I think was in the high 70's. At the bottom of the plug was the smallest coin I have ever seen. Could it be a half dime? I honestly couldn't tell because I had forgotten my eye glasses in the car. So I put the coin in my "keeper" tin, and kept detecting for another hour. It wasn't until I got back to the car that I was able to see my discovery- 1834 Capped Bust half dime- What a beautiful coin! What a wonderful feeling!

Attachments

• 055 (2).jpg
    055 (2).jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 052 (2).jpg
    052 (2).jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 273
Upvote 32

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a fantastic find, and your list sounds just as impressive.. what a site! I too am still waiting for my first seated not to mention a capped. That thing is in great shape. WTG! Enjoy it, and it sounds like you could be pulling more out of there. Can't wait to see what. Thanks for posting. HH!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG, S.M.! Here's hoping next hunt you strike GOLD! 💍

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've dug what we all dream about digging X 2 great job and great condition!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the 5 cent piece, it's in really nice condition. I dug my only one a year ago and it was holed and not nearly the condition as yours.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous coin, Congratulations!

Steve

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
A half dollar and a half dime?!? Wow, just wow. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all for your feedback. The more I look at this coin, the more I'm amazed. I can't wait to see what else I can dig out of this site...hopefully this weekend.
A special " thanks to "M d in guy" from Ontario for the link to the 1/2 dime website...I had no idea that there were so many variations. Great stuff!

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this summer I had the very good fortune to find a Capped Bust half dollar. For me, finding a " capped" anything was an absolute thrill. I never thought I would ever be able to experience that same rush of emotion...until it happened again yesterday. For the past three weekends I have been working a new site that has produced a great mix of old coins. Weekend #1: 1877 Seated dime, 1898 Barber dime, 1953 & 1954 Roosevelt dimes, 1901 Indian cent, and a no date large cent. Weekend #2: 1892-O & 1901 Barber dimes. I returned yesterday for my third hunt. The first hour was very slow going... a couple of wheats, and 29 cents in clad. Then I got a solid, repeatable tone on my AT-Pro which I think was in the high 70's. At the bottom of the plug was the smallest coin I have ever seen. Could it be a half dime? I honestly couldn't tell because I had forgotten my eye glasses in the car. So I put the coin in my "keeper" tin, and kept detecting for another hour. It wasn't until I got back to the car that I was able to see my discovery- 1834 Capped Bust half dime- What a beautiful coin! What a wonderful feeling!

great find , its on my bucket list

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is just phenomenal I love to see these coins dug! OP how deep was this coin? Do you remember what the ground balance was?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions