Captain Ahab's harpoon

capt.ken m

Jan 18, 2016
Bradenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been digging on this lot on the way home from work. Today I found this harpoon tip. Not sure if it's old, conflicting info on the net. Also found this tag , not sure what it is off of. Let me know if you have any ideas. Cool stuff though. Thanks for looking. 20160901_175234.jpg 20160901_174213.jpg 20160901_180646.jpg 20160901_174117.jpg

Upvote 14

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one mean looking relic! Congrats. ~Lisa & John

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Modern tip. I used to harpoon Giant Tuna and Swordfish with harpoons with the same tip. I believe I used to use Aftco brand tips. Look it up.

Great find!

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find. I would rather dig that than 10,000 filthy pennies.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrappy is correct, modern swordfish/tuna harpoon tip. You can see them on the TV series "Wicked Tuna" and like Scrappy I once hunted those fish with these. We call them "darts" in New England.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Poor fish. So it is used to harpoon a fish. What is used to tune a fish?

That would be a unique find for sure

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrappy is correct, modern swordfish/tuna harpoon tip. You can see them on the TV series "Wicked Tuna" and like Scrappy I once hunted those fish with these. We call them "darts" in New England.

Where did you run out of? I worked out of Newburyport, Manemsha, and Montauk. Sometimes up to Grand Banks on long hauls. And yep, darts we call 'em!

Never again they say.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And I as well, but only as the last means to secure them after getting them to the boat on rod and reel (like on the show). One trip in October many moons ago, twilight was approaching and we were just about to hang it up and head for the barn empty-handed when we got a report of a good pod of giants a couple miles south of where we were. We decided to give it one last try and dumped our last 50 lbs of chum in about 5 minutes, triggering a 680 pounder to take one of our baits. After an hour fight, we had the fish to the transom and stuck it with the harpoon. When the fish was hit, he went straight down, snapping a 130 lb class rod in the process, as well as the line. All I had him by was the harpoon line, which was getting ripped from my hands as he descended. He and I played tug of war for 15-20 minutes, me bent over the side with my hands almost in the water. Afraid that the harpoon was going to pull out of the fish's side, I yelled to my father-in-law to rig another dart. We didn't have another harpoon line (almost as thick as clothesline) to tie a new dart to, so I told him to tie it to the end of the parted line dangling from the reel. He's a surgeon, and I figured he could figure out the best way to attach it, but it was now dark and he was frantic and couldn't thread the line through the hole in the dart. I told him to cut the crap, slow down and get it done. That did the trick I guess, because he got the dart on the line and fastened it to the end of the harpoon shaft. As I got the fish up, he stuck it with the second dart. No sooner had he done that when the first dart pulled out! All we had him by now was a dart on monofilament line coming directly off the spool of the reel. Luckily, the fish was pretty spent by this point and we were able to get a tailrope on him. I can honestly say, the 40 mile ride back to the harbor that night was one of the best boat rides I've ever had. Thanks for bringing that memory back into my head!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And I as well, but only as the last means to secure them after getting them to the boat on rod and reel (like on the show). One trip in October many moons ago, twilight was approaching and we were just about to hang it up and head for the barn empty-handed when we got a report of a good pod of giants a couple miles south of where we were. We decided to give it one last try and dumped our last 50 lbs of chum in about 5 minutes, triggering a 680 pounder to take one of our baits. After an hour fight, we had the fish to the transom and stuck it with the harpoon. When the fish was hit, he went straight down, snapping a 130 lb class rod in the process, as well as the line. All I had him by was the harpoon line, which was getting ripped from my hands as he descended. He and I played tug of war for 15-20 minutes, me bent over the side with my hands almost in the water. Afraid that the harpoon was going to pull out of the fish's side, I yelled to my father-in-law to rig another dart. We didn't have another harpoon line (almost as thick as clothesline) to tie a new dart to, so I told him to tie it to the end of the parted line dangling from the reel. He's a surgeon, and I figured he could figure out the best way to attach it, but it was now dark and he was frantic and couldn't thread the line through the hole in the dart. I told him to cut the crap, slow down and get it done. That did the trick I guess, because he got the dart on the line and fastened it to the end of the harpoon shaft. As I got the fish up, he stuck it with the second dart. No sooner had he done that when the first dart pulled out! All we had him by now was a dart on monofilament line coming directly off the spool of the reel. Luckily, the fish was pretty spent by this point and we were able to get a tailrope on him. I can honestly say, the 40 mile ride back to the harbor that night was one of the best boat rides I've ever had. Thanks for bringing that memory back into my head!

Nice story. Funny thing about giants is some have a wicked bad attitude. Yours sounded like a meanie.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys have brought back some great memories of runs out to the canyons. Nature at her best, at least until the weather turned nasty... then some of the scariest conditions! Taught me deep respect for those Coast Guard troops who went out in that stuff to look for souls (usually fools) in trouble. God bless them.
HH
dts

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I believe they were also referred to as "lily darts" here in Gloucester. I went sticking once, with no luck.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't recall losing that???? But since it's got my name on it I suppose it's mine. Some great stories from this post and a neat find. Wish it was the old one that was stuck in the White Whale 8-)

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice story. Funny thing about giants is some have a wicked bad attitude. Yours sounded like a meanie.

YOU would be a meanie also if you were stabbed with a harpoon and still alive!

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True that, lol

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old or recent, the harpoon tip is pretty cool find. The tag reminds me of those I used to see on older model tractors. Congrats on the finds!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you run out of? I worked out of Newburyport, Manemsha, and Montauk. Sometimes up to Grand Banks on long hauls. And yep, darts we call 'em!

Never again they say.

Edgartown!! Small boats 32 footers. Mostly Cape Cod waters. Did you work for the Larsens out of Menemsha? I'm off to Menemsha for a month fishing vacation come October. Sadly you are correct, there will likely never be swordfishing in our NE waters again, no more sword boats out of Edgartown or Menemsha, a few guys still chase tuna with harpoons, but all the big draggers and longliners are gone from the Vineyard as well as all the big stickboats. Long pulpits are a thing of the past there.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Edgartown!! Small boats 32 footers. Mostly Cape Cod waters. Did you work for the Larsens out of Menemsha? I'm off to Menemsha for a month fishing vacation come October. Sadly you are correct, there will likely never be swordfishing in our NE waters again, no more sword boats out of Edgartown or Menemsha, a few guys still chase tuna with harpoons, but all the big draggers and longliners are gone from the Vineyard as well as all the big stickboats. Long pulpits are a thing of the past there.

LARSONS IN MANEMSHA!!??!! YOU WATCH YOUR MOUTH!!! Just kidding...

No, I worked with Donald and his father at POOLE's fish, right next to there. POOLE's was the original, LARSONS crashed the party. Larson's...never!!! Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread