Captain Maxwell of the 71st regiment

Crisis

Feb 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all: I found this name plate back in December and the history attached to it makes it one of my personal favorites: After researching for some time, I have come to realize that it belonged to Captain Hamilton Maxwell of the house of Monreith of Scotland. He was the second son of the 3rd Duke of Monreith, his sister Jane was considered on of the most beautiful women in history and married the Earl of Gordon. During the American Revolution Captain Maxwell was a member of the 71st regiment that was sent to Boston in 1776. He was aboard the Ship "Anne" that was captured in Boston Harbor before making land fall in July. Captain Maxwell was then imprisoned near Boston for an unknown amount of time, before making his was to Canada and eventually back to England. The next info I have on him, has him in heavy fighting under Lord Cornwallis in India where he eventually became a Lieutentant Colonel of the 74th regiment. Although his history in India is sketchy at best, he seems to have been revered by his men and met an untimely death around the year 1800. I am presently looking for a painting of him and believe there is one in existence in his ancestoral castle which surprisingly is still standing and still in the hands of the Maxwells. When I first found it I did not realise the importance of it and threw it in the back of my truck,as it looked like scrap metal, later when cleaning out the back I decided to try and pry it apart, it broke as soon as i touched it, but was shocked by what was on the inside!! Anyone know where I might get it repaired? DSC01366 (640x427).jpg DSC01365 (640x427).jpg DSC01368 (640x427).jpg

Upvote 1

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Crisis,

Excellent find sir, and nice research. I want to know more on it's discovery. It is just such a personal find...

"Lt Col Hamilton Maxwell

Born Wigtown 1754; served in North America 1771; served in India 1774; Major in 73rd Foot 1 June 1779; brevet Lieutenant-Colonel 26 August 1783; Lieutenant-Colonel in 74th Foot 15 December 1788; commanded 74th Foot 1788 to 1794; brevet Colonel and ADC to King George 16 October 1793; died in India 8 June 1794." British Regiments and the Men Who Led Them 1793-1815

74th_Highlanders_memorial.JPG
74th (Highland) Regiment of Foot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice:icon_thumright: Congratulations8-)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
C

Crisis

Feb 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Iron patch - the one found by Iron Horse looks very similar, will contact Leonard to see if he can do anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions