Car Keys

jerkbate

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2008
Awhile back my wife and I were interested in purchasing a new car. One night while we were out, we decided to stop by a local dealership to see what they had on the lot. I happened to walk over to the used car section, and I couldn't believe what I found. On the hood of one of the used cars were the keys to all of them. I found a total of 31 sets of keys. I checked to see if someone happened to be at the dealership, but there was not. My wife and I took them to the police station just down the road. We were questioned for over 20 minutes about how we had gotten the keys. The police just didn't believe that I had found them. Finally after taking all the information on us that they could possibly ever need, they let us leave. The next morning I went by the dealership to see if they had gotten their keys back. They said they had not lost any keys, and didn't know what I was talking about. I know the keys I found went to their used cars because I tried a couple of them out of curiousity. I asked to speak to the manager and told him about what I found. He checked and sure enough all the keys to their used cars were missing. He immediately called the police station and was told they had them. The police hadn't even bothered to call to tell them they had been turned in. The people at the dealership nor the police never even said thank you to me for turning them in. About a week later, I went by there to try to deal with them on a car. I reminded them of what I'd done, and they tried to pretend that it never happened. They were unwilling to deal with me on a car and still never said thank you. They actually seemed more like they just wanted me to leave. I told my wife that if something like that ever happened again, I was going to take the keys to the bad part of town and sell them for about 20 bucks a set. I really wouldn't do that, but their lack of appreciation made me wish I had at the time.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was a Good thing you did in spite of how you were treated.

Welcome to TNet by the way.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
jerkbate said:
Awhile back my wife and I were interested in purchasing a new car. One night while we were out, we decided to stop by a local dealership to see what they had on the lot. I happened to walk over to the used car section, and I couldn't believe what I found. On the hood of one of the used cars were the keys to all of them. I found a total of 31 sets of keys. I checked to see if someone happened to be at the dealership, but there was not. My wife and I took them to the police station just down the road. We were questioned for over 20 minutes about how we had gotten the keys. The police just didn't believe that I had found them. Finally after taking all the information on us that they could possibly ever need, they let us leave. The next morning I went by the dealership to see if they had gotten their keys back. They said they had not lost any keys, and didn't know what I was talking about. I know the keys I found went to their used cars because I tried a couple of them out of curiousity. I asked to speak to the manager and told him about what I found. He checked and sure enough all the keys to their used cars were missing. He immediately called the police station and was told they had them. The police hadn't even bothered to call to tell them they had been turned in. The people at the dealership nor the police never even said thank you to me for turning them in. About a week later, I went by there to try to deal with them on a car. I reminded them of what I'd done, and they tried to pretend that it never happened. They were unwilling to deal with me on a car and still never said thank you. They actually seemed more like they just wanted me to leave. I told my wife that if something like that ever happened again, I was going to take the keys to the bad part of town and sell them for about 20 bucks a set. I really wouldn't do that, but their lack of appreciation made me wish I had at the time.

I'd be mighty tempted to go to the police station, get a copy of the report YOU made, then call the local news station. I don't know that I'd DO it, mind you, but I'd sure be tempted! ;D

Still, you did the right thing, and you know it. And you can look yourself in the face in the mornings without shame.

Ya did good.

Nan

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Not having met face to face the individuals you met in this matter I can only guess as to the reason for their odd behaviour.
What do you think was going on here from these two separate locations.

OP
OP
J

jerkbate

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I hate to speculate on what may or may not have been going on. I know that it was not handled well by the dealership or the police. Obviously somebody messed up pretty bad by leaving those keys out for whatever reason, and the employees at the dealership were trying to make it go away. As for the police, who knows why they didn't call them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Found a set of keys in a Bank door once while waking in
they did thank me for them, but didn't seem
like it was a big deal they left them there :P

Possability that group of police Didn't call because
they realy have no intrest in public service.
just public intimidation.

as for the dealership, maybe they realized who left them there
and this person is too important to them to make a public
deal about it. (Boss's idiot nephew, the Hot Blonde Dealer
the rest of the crew likes to watch strut around, or person you talked to ? :D )

Maybe they were hoping somone would
clean them out overnight too.
For the Insurance :wink:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
roswellborn said:
jerkbate said:

I'd be mighty tempted to go to the police station, get a copy of the report YOU made, then call the local news station. I don't know that I'd DO it, mind you, but I'd sure be tempted! ;D

Still, you did the right thing, and you know it. And you can look yourself in the face in the mornings without shame.

Ya did good.

Nan

Your right, Roswellborn, the newspapers and tv stations would put a halt to that kind of rude behavior. Problem is, if the police are such jerks, then they might try to make some problems for you.....but I'd explain that to the newspapers and tv stations, too, and they could kind of "inform" the folks to help and not hurt......not saying they would, mind you, but little-minded people do little-minded things.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
You did the right thing by returning the keys. I could be wrong, but the reason that more acts of kindness are not done is because nobody on the "receiving end" says thank you or appreciates the gesture.

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
That is such a raw deal for you. People like that make me sick. If it was me...and had to do it all over...I would have thrown them in the trash.

OP
OP
J

jerkbate

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2008
Thanks for the repiies. Occassionally something will come up about that dealership, and even though it happened several years ago, I am still quick to tell people what I think about them and how I was treated.

JamesE

If they treat you that way for doing them a good deed, says a lot about how they'll treat you if you buy from them.
God or Karma was just giving you a heads up about buying from them.
A lot of cops think people don't like them because they're cops, when the truth is that they are disliked for their arrogance.
jim

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I am from a family of civil servants (father and brother retired NYPD and brother NYFD) for the longest time I think they were just tired of being spit at. Unfortunately it takes something like 9/11 to recognize their value . SOME OF US REMEMBER , SOME OF US FORGET .

JamesE

I have a hard time believeing anybody here would spit on cops just cuz' they're cops. At the same time, it's very hard to to hang a medal on someone that's arrogant or insecure and ticks people off by just opening their mouth.
My experience is small town though, we know the cops, we know the Sheriff, I'd vouch for any of them, and trust they save their harrassment for the known troublemakers, they even tell them straight to their face they'll be happier if move to the city. These 'invitees' are probably the ones that spit on your relatives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread