spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 largest collections I had when I was a kid was a comic collection and the old card collection.

I still have my comic collection nearly intact from the 60's whoopeee retirement funds I hope. :laughing7:

As far as the card collection, none of those survived. With that cards you would spend a small fortune every week getting the latest cards. The most popular in my time were the Topps baseball cards. The baseball cards were my introduction to gambling. You would play one of 2 games, flip, or match colors and the cards and players changed hands many times in just one sitting.

My other favorite cards to collect in popular order were
1- The Civil War cards (each one goes for several dollars today) They had a great action picture on the front and the historical story on the back. I wish I still had them :crybaby2:

2- Mars Attacks!!! Best alien cards ever made

3- Combat- From the TV series

4- The Munsters - from the TV series

5- Batman - from the TV series.

Last but not least is the most famous card of all.. The JD card, those were really the ones you didn't want to collect. I know if I had 2 more JD cards, I could have run for mayor :tongue:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I never actually collected them..but one day my dad came in from the pub and gave me a big carrier bag. Inside was about 300 maybe more, of those civil war cards!
I didn't even know what the American civil war was, but they became one of my most favourite items. As you said,on the front were stunning drawings/paintings? some of them quite gruesome as i recall. Unfortunately thats all i recall. The only one i remember was of Union cavalry jumping over a sharpened stake barricade, i think one or two horses may have been impaled on them? You probably have a much better memory of them than me.
One day they just vanished! I probably swapped them for a bag of marbles or some toy cars or some crap...as kids do.
Ever since Ebay opened i've thought of those cards. :'( First thing that came to mind when i saw this post was those cards.

Also had loads of the Batman cards. Had lots of others over the years too,but can't remember any of them lol. Thunderbirds, UFO,Stingray maybe, But those civil war ones were the best.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano, if you still had 300 of those cards you would be sitting pretty. If they are going for big bucks here, I could only imagine what they would fetch overseas :tongue3:

I also had hundreds, probably had at least 2 complete sets. After I posted yesterday, I did a google on Civil War cards, and just as I thought, they were made by Topps, Brooklyn, NY. They had one site that shows the complete set in a slide format. If I am not mistaken I remembered a good 75 of the complete 88 card set. Those paintings were fantastic to say the least. Yes, many were a bit gruesome for a lad, but just too cool not to have. Many were also based on historical fact and a story was given. Others I assume were from recollections made, taken from various sources.

Mars attacks was surely a close second, seeing exposed alien brains was awesome. People being fried by death rays was another popular image that comes to mind. I'll probably end up doing another google search later :laughing7:

I am sure a ton of others on here had the above mentioned cards, I just wonder how many still have them. AT one time a had at least a dozen Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris cards. I can tell you this, Topps really knew how to squeeze several nickles a week from me alone back then. That was a heck of a lot of bottle recoveries.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
http://tinyurl.com/39dp3l8

£135 = $211 = :'(

I must have had a couple of sets too,and duplicates,if a set was only 88 cards. I had way more! I'm gutted lol.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and me both :laughing9: The original cost was a nickle a package, or 1 cent per card.. Not only that you got big flat stick of gum. I remember the smell of the cards from the sugar on them. In addition, there were some packs that also contained confederate money.. and you never see that money around now either... I need a time machine badly :laughing9:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
Please don't start me off on toys and what they're worth today!!!
Or even the sweets/candy we used to have.Thread will go on for years! :laughing9:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned an antique and collectibles shop for a while and I gotta tell ya, there were a number of times that I nearly hit the floor when I saw what a lot of items actually sold for. Bottom line, if someone is really into it they will pay good money to own things of personal interest. But the coolest and most enjoyable part of the business were those people who would come into the shop to see what their latest rummage sale purchases or family heirlooms were worth.............I saw a lot of them hit the floor! Everyday there was something unique and very cool brought in. :laughing7: There are a lot of days when I miss that shop. On the other hand, there were a lot of people who thought their items were worth gold instead of the "real word" pennies I had to explain to them, so maybe I don't miss that shop all that much. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread