Cardinal saved.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This little female Cardinal flew into the window, near knocked herself sick. We held her, kept her warm, while talking to her & stroking her. After about 15 mins, we put her onto the bird table, she just stood there, while I was stroking her. Then all of a sudden she came too & flew onto a limb above us. She stayed there for 20 mins & then flew off.
I just love doing good deeds for animals & ppl. So much satisfaction.
Just thought I would share.

Molly. :)

Attachments

• Card400.jpg
    Card400.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 344

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad she made it Molly, we do the same, have had everything from Hummingbirds to a Cooper Hawk slam into our dining room window. Some times the encounters are deadly but the vast majority fly away immediately or like in the case of your Cardinal they are stunned for awhile and then recover and take flight.

We have tried hanging many things in our window to stop the daily poundings, but without much success. We use Owl silhouttes, and other hanging objects in hopes of breaking up the collisions, but I think most are caused as the birds leave the feeders in panic, from either a hawk attacking or a car turning around in front of our dead end street location.

Don

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks friends. It's such a great feelin to save something. :icon_sunny:

I made some bird boxes for the smaller birds. I have two Carolina Wrens starting to nest in one. will keep ya posted. Hopefully I will be able to get pics of babies. Sure I will see their beaks popping out for food. :D
These aint no ordinary wrens, they come in the house if the windows open, tweet at me for food. I feed them warm oats, they love that. They also follow me, when i go walking round the garden. Also Humming birds will be here soon. I'll get some pics of me holding the feeder while they drink from it. ::)

Thanks again.

Molly :)

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
WTG Molly...I remember reading about Cardinals being more prone to flying into wondows than other birds...Here's a link that offers some info....

http://www.sialis.org/windowstrikes.htm

Birds collide with glass for four reasons: either they

can not see the glass at all because it is transparent (especially a problem with two windows or a window and mirror opposite each other, creating a"corridor effect")

see a reflection of the outdoors, and try to fly through what looks like unobstructed open space (the "mirror effect"),

or are attempting to defend their territory from a perceived intruder - their own reflection ("territorial strikes"). Bluebirds, cardinals, and robins typically do this.
Territorial window strikes are more common in springtime, but may occur year round. During the fall, male birds often get a second flush of testosterone (called "gonadal recrudescence").

some bluebirds are just "nosey," and will cling to a window screen or will come to the window to beg for mealworms, but do not crash headlong into it.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Mol! :D

Be she had a bad stiff neck the next morning, LOL!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Great job Molly! She sure is pretty. I had a sparrow in the showroom last year, kept hitting the plate glass windows until he knocked himself silly. I had to hold him for 20 min. or so and he finally perked up and flew away. I love helping those in need too girl!

frostytiger

Mar 16, 2007
SE Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm III
Copperhead, you said it all. I've had a dang Robin pestering me for 3 solid weeks at my back door because he thinks it is another Robin invading his territory. Drives me nuts to hear him flutter at the window them peck it. My wife says it's a short drive!!!! :tard: ::)

Frosty

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Molly Nice pic here. It does give a person a good feeling when they are able to help one of God's little creatures that
is down and needs assistence in getting back up. Those Cardinals are so pretty that you don't want to lose one. We have
two pairs here and enjoy seeing them. They sure stand out in a snowy background.

Ray

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go, Doc. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions