Care of chest/hip mounted Sovereign GT

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a chest mounted (hang from neck in bag) Sovereign GT with a Minelab Digiscreen VI meter that hangs upside down about 2/3 up the stock straight shaft off a Vclip made by minelab. I want to temporarily use the VI meter to learn the tones and
assist in pin pointing as the numbers should be stable when coil is over target? I guess with time I could get used to reading numbers upside down?

As neither the control box or the VI meter are waterproof, I am puzzled on how to best clean the detector after a day of hunting at the beach in dry sand, wet sand, and ankle to to knee deep water.

It looks like I have to disconnect and remove the control box and VI meter and store them in a safe place before I can rinse of the shaft to remove salt, then dry everything off before reconecting. I supose that I use a fine brush on the control box and VI meter to flick off any sand particles.

Also, what is the best way to bring it to the beach (short drive) - In peices and assemble it.
Or carry it all together.

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is a rain cover which is not totally waterproof, but will keep it clean. Or wrap it in a clear plastic bag. You can rinse the rod and coil. I would have it all together unless the car wont let it fit.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember there is salt mist in the air at the beach. I do not recommend you use sovereign in an open bag that does not cover the top, the mist will get inside the detector through the speaker opening and the other tiny openings. Do you have the stock rain bag that comes with the Sovereign?

I go to the beach with mine assembled, when I go to clean it I am careful, I rinse the rods at the showers leaving the detector in the bag, top down. This method has worked for 4 years.... It will handle a accidental fresh water splash a lot better than a dunking in salt warter..... I take off the detector case cover from time to time and clean the inside...

Remember when knee deep, one slip, a rouge wave, or one moment of not paying attention and you have ruined your Sovereign.... I do not go past mid calf with mine in the salt water....

I do not use my meter at the beach at all....No need...Pinpointing is the same as on the excal, you can X the target or you can slowly move the coil forward or backward till the target disappears, when that happens your target is just off the edge of the coil either at the toe or heel of coil depending on the direction you were moving it when you lost the tone....I have never had a problem with pinpointing with the Sov GT, even when I was new to it...

If you wrap the detector in a plastic bag, be sure to leave the bottom open or condensation will form inside the bag including inside your detector....

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I also own a Sovereign. Don't forget to take your coil cover off every time you go out and clean off the sand from the coil and the cover. If you let sand build up between the coil and the cover the sand will penetrate your coil. Then water will get in and ZAP - dead machine/coil. I use zip ties to keep it on and cut them off to rinse every time I'm done detecting. :metaldetector:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread