Careful about buying stock photo ASE deals/steals

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we all know the good ol saying about if something is too good to be true, it probably is. Well I always push my limits regardless, especially with ebay buyer protection. Even still, I thought I'd save my fellow pirates some time in stating the following.

Apparently some user accounts are being hijacked and are "selling" american silver eagles. From what I've experienced, they are stock photos, bargain prices, and they have large quantities in stock. The accounts that have been used have had great feedback standing, and even the descriptions often seem to reference legitimate businesses with a highly professional layout.

Out of curiosity and down right stubbornness, I took a shot at a few. Bought one from two or three different sellers (different quantities/descriptions. Same stock photo). A day later the items have been removed from ebay. I have seen several more examples listed on ebay since. Not sure what they are accomplishing other than possibly making ebay take the hit? Haven't checked if I've been refunded yet, and I'm really curious to see if anything shows up in the mail. I highly doubt anything will.

This may be old news. I haven't frequented here in a while, nor have I been buying bullion on ebay until recently. Just thought I ought to spread the word.

Again, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. It's probably also in my cart. :skullflag:

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting . I limited my EBay dealings to a few bucks on garden seeds . even that venture did not go as it should have.

I'll leave that site and risk to other from now on.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mean to discourage anyone off ebay as it certainly has its perks. These steals in particular were slightly under spot at buy it now price. Again, just too good to be true especially with the stock photo so just ne aware. I normally buy on impulse on something so lowly priced as it would get snatched up immediately. For me the first time buy was routine the next was out of curiosity and pipe dreams.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
What's the problem? If you use Paypal and it's a fake or it never turns up you get your money back.

'Western Union only' or 'Direct deposit only' etc means walk on by.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread