Caribbean metal type error cents

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Bermuda cent dated 1988. Krause says that Bermudan cents 1986-1990 were made of bronze, but that all 1988 cents were struck from copper-plated steel. However, my specimen is not magnetic. My coin weighs 3.1 grams, but unfortunately both the bronze and steel varieties weigh 3.1 grams. I strongly suspect that my specimen is a 1988 cent struck on a bronze planchet, but this kind of error is not mentioned in Krause or any other publication I can find. Has anyone else ever heard of one of these before, or is mine the only one known to exist?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Question on 1988 Bermuda cent

I have made a similar discovery, this time with a 1991 Barbados cent. According to Krause, Barbadian cents 1973-1991 were struck in bronze (3.05g), while all cents from 1992 to present are struck on copper-plated zinc (2.55g). My 1991 cent is not magnetic, and weights 2.55g, strong evidence that it is indeed the zinc composition. Yet, no other metal type errors from 1991 have been reported. Is my 1991 zinc Barbados cent the only one in existence?

(I've discovered two metal type error coins from the Caribbean in less than a year. That's weird!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread