Carnies

Jun 10, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
while i await my new detector ive been driving around looking for some good digging spots. i was curious if the county fairgrounds is fair game? we have huge fairs there and is probably overloaded with coins and misc.
i asked for my first permission the other day. its at a old club/resort with camping grounds. its not open anymore and the owners just use it for the spring water. so i called and asked and he said "we dont allow ppl to do that on our property". now i can take rejection, but he spoke to me like i was a homeless person begging for a hand out. so i got rejected and its a shame probably some good stuff.

try try again!

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure would be a great area to detect but I'm sure they have inside folks that cover the area - inside job
Private property

S

someotherdude

First off, never call. Face to face contact lets the person your dealing with see who you are and that your not a scuzball. Plus it's much harder to say no to a persons face. Also try coming at it from a different angle. First try to establish a personal relationship with them while discussing the history of the site, which BTW also means do your homework and find out what that history is. Lastly try using the, My club would like to survey the area for anything historical in nature, maybe look for old artifacts coins etc... BTW try that same site next year after you've got some practice in this year. The Fella won't know your the same person who asked last year on the phone and you'll get a second bite at that apple.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I detect county property (and yes, even our county fairgrounds) with no problem, and never ask permission. As long as it is open (gates open, assuming there's no events going on that day), so therefore assuming, there would be nothing to stop someone from walking their on a given day, then what's the problem? Assuming your not being a nuisance leaving a mess, then it would seem to me that a public county fairgrounds would be no different than a school, park, etc.... But like all ok places, go at low traffic times, so busy-bodies don't butt in. Kind of like picking your nose: No one cares till you ask.

By thinking you need to ask, only casts aspursions on yourself, or your hobby, as if ...... something were inherently wrong or evil about it, that you even needed to ask, to begin with. And once you do that, then you only throw up images of geeks with shovels that merit the easy answer "no". When in reality, odds are, no one cared or would have noticed. Just stay clear of obvious historic monuments, archie conventions, etc..., don't leave (or be seen in the midst of) holes, and you'll be ok.

Someotherdude is right: Don't ever cold-call to ask permission (when it's needed for private property) on the phone. I mean ...... think of it, what do YOU do when you get solicitor calls? Hang up, right? Best to "catch them out on their front porch", and approach with a smile, revelling in the "interesting history that you, as an amateur historian, were just doing a study on! blah blah"

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Your first lesson wasnt the rejection.......it was the "how not to ask.

Face to face always. And for god sakes go by a US Army shirt to where when you go. I never get turned down by farmers when I sport my uniform when I ask. But a shirt works just as well.

Remember no marine, navy or airforce shirts.............marine because you dont want them thinking your slow and dont ware a navy or airforce shirt because you want people to think your right..... dont ya?

Just kiddin any of them work.

Ian

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Surfin is on to something with wearing a shirt. I'm an EMT on our town's rescue squad and when I go asking I wear one of my shirts.
It works most of the time but I often have to stick around to answer questions on every ailment they ever had. :-\

Good Luck.

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I've found some good stuff at county fairgrounds...a silver motorcyle chain ring (do hunt the RV camping areas), some wheaties and lots of clad around the concession stand areas. I got permission to hunt, but I knew the county commissioner personally, so it was no problem. What area of Ohio do you live?

OP
OP
wormswithearrings
Jun 10, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Ok, well all stuff thats good to know! guess thats the best lesson, huh! thank you for the comments and suggestions.

im in urbana ohio. just north of springfield. lots of railroads and farm land up here. i am familiar with lebanon and columbus!

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
wormswithearrings said:
Ok, well all stuff thats good to know! guess thats the best lesson, huh! thank you for the comments and suggestions.

im in urbana ohio. just north of springfield. lots of railroads and farm land up here. i am familiar with lebanon and columbus!
I just sent you a person message about some Ohio detectorist groups.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Tom_in_CA said:
I detect county property (and yes, even our county fairgrounds) with no problem, and never ask permission. As long as it is open (gates open, assuming there's no events going on that day), so therefore assuming, there would be nothing to stop someone from walking their on a given day, then what's the problem? Assuming your not being a nuisance leaving a mess, then it would seem to me that a public county fairgrounds would be no different than a school, park, etc.... But like all ok places, go at low traffic times, so busy-bodies don't butt in. Kind of like picking your nose: No one cares till you ask.

By thinking you need to ask, only casts aspursions on yourself, or your hobby, as if ...... something were inherently wrong or evil about it, that you even needed to ask, to begin with. And once you do that, then you only throw up images of geeks with shovels that merit the easy answer "no". When in reality, odds are, no one cared or would have noticed. Just stay clear of obvious historic monuments, archie conventions, etc..., don't leave (or be seen in the midst of) holes, and you'll be ok.

Someotherdude is right: Don't ever cold-call to ask permission (when it's needed for private property) on the phone. I mean ...... think of it, what do YOU do when you get solicitor calls? Hang up, right? Best to "catch them out on their front porch", and approach with a smile, revelling in the "interesting history that you, as an amateur historian, were just doing a study on! blah blah"

Sorry, but "thinking you need to ask" is the right approach. She said she asked the owners, that would mean private property. Never hunt on private property without permission, it isn't worth it. Asking is always the way to go, just do it face to face like was suggested earlier.

John

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
John-Blurr, re-read the initial post: She had two sites in that question. First was asking about county (public) fairgrounds, then she went on to make note of a second place (private) she'd gotten a "no" on. I had to re-read it myself, to see that she was talking about 2 different sites in one question.

Yes, for a private resort, you'd need permission. My answer was referring to the first part of the question, as it pertained to public fairgrounds.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
John-Blurr, re-read the initial post: She had two sites in that question. First was asking about county (public) fairgrounds, then she went on to make note of a second place (private) she'd gotten a "no" on. I had to re-read it myself, to see that she was talking about 2 different sites in one question.

Yes, for a private resort, you'd need permission. My answer was referring to the first part of the question, as it pertained to public fairgrounds.

Tom,
I understand what you are saying. However...How many times have we as MD's found out that public areas doesn't always mean public access at all times?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Johnny Cat, if a person is skittish that their locale might have some rule, then they should check the codes themselves (usually available on-line at city/county websites). If it is silent on the issue (nothing said about metal detecting), then go. Best to check the books yourself, instead of asking a live person, couching it in terms of "permission". I have seen too many people think they needed "permission", who got a "no", where no one ever cared! Just some deskbound bureaucrat who figured "gee, I guess I gotta address this pressing issue", so they give the easy answer. Why should they be bothered? The mere fact that you're standing there at their desk asking "permission", only puts an image in their mind that something is so inherently wrong, that you had to ask, to begin with. I mean, would you ask permission to fly a kite? skip stones on the pond? etc...

Personally, I just go. But if someone is skittish, they can do a word-search on city/county webistes for keyword variations on "metal detectors". If nothing is there, go.

S

someotherdude

I think Tom has a good point here. I myself have already asked and secured permission to hunt one such county fair site that was a large one for our closest city. My own local county fair site, I asked but got no response back. But since it is county owned land and I hunt county land all the time, maybe I should just show up and give it a go. If I get arrested though I'm telling them It's Toms fault . ;D :D

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Wormswithearrings, Got a couple of places for ya' to try. Lived in Dayton for many years. A gate that is always open is at the Dayton city reservoir. North of Dayton close to Wright Patterson museum.They have had boat races their for many years and the people sat on the banks to watch. The other place that I went to as a kid was the Darke county fair in Greenville. Can still picture all the old carnie tents running down the isles. Their is a horse racing track their also that has bleacher seating. It is an old fairgrounds. Almost all the little towns in your area have old city parks.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Tom_in_CA said:

You are correct, I didn't read close enough. :thumbsup:

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions