Carnival Token: Knowlton & Lucado *SOLVED* Found Another

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300
Carnival Token: Knowlton & Lucado *SOLVED* Found Another

I originally posted this in todays finds but still haven't been able to find any info on this carnival token. Its about the size of a dollar and made of aluminum. I can only fit two pics on this post. To see the original post with pics of all finds go to my post "First IH Today" in today's finds:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,149659.0.html

Thanks for any info.

My Brother and I hit a few vacant lots in Kalispell. Found a few wheats and a '41 nickel, then dug an 1890 indian head at three inches. All this time, I figured I was missing the really old coins because they were too deep. Most of the wheats that I've found were at least 4 inches down. The spot where I found the indian looked like original grade. I'm still learning how to use my MXT300 but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I also found a 1919 Australian penny (wierd), a Washington state tax token and a token for one ride at the Knowlton & Lucado carnival. The tax token is the second one I've found. I can't find any info on the Carnival token. The other pic shows a lighter, a match holder and some brass thing. All in all, it was a good day.

Attachments

• coins 017.jpg
    coins 017.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 193
  • coins 018.jpg
    coins 018.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 210

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Carnival Token: Knowlton & Lucadov ( maybe Lucadow?)

Nice find! This is no doubt from a traveling show that came through. They had a ticket booth set up to sell tokens for rides so the person running the ride wouldn't have to handle money. Every token that was lost was profit to the outfit.

It may be difficult to find the "home" of the show as the records for small operations are pretty sketchy. Depending on the date (I can't really estimate any closer than 1905-35) it might be possible to search your county recorder office's license records - most counties required traveling shows to buy a license to set up and operate, and some counties still have the old license register books. There might also have been a town license, but towns were (and are) much more likely to have thrown away their records after a few years. The show might also have advertised in the local newspaper, but finding such an ad would be tedious work.

John in ID

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007

The Atwood-Coffee catalog lists a 38mm aluminum token issued by Knowlton & Lucado. It is attributed to Butte, MT and carries a whopping $300 catalog value in the most recent edition. Nice find!

OP
OP
unclejesse67

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300

Sweet, Thanks. Too bad its in such crappy shape. I know it looks like I may have caused the damage when I dug it up but the damage was pre existing. it was a vacant lot so I was digging big plugs with a spade shovel to avoid damaging my finds.

Maybe you can take a look at another token I found recently in this post:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,149734.0.html

Thanks again.

OP
OP
unclejesse67

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300
Re: Carnival Token: Knowlton & Lucado *SOLVED*

I decided I wanted one in a little better shape so I dug another today a few hundred yards from where I found the first one. Maybe I'll try the electrolysis cleaning method. I figure the circus must have been in town on this lot at some point.

Attachments

• coins 019.jpg
    coins 019.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 169
  • coins 020.jpg
    coins 020.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 172

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread