Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only way to know for sure is to do this cool thing called.......prospecting!
Go sample, pan dig, pan and find out!!

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Aboard,,wishing you find may treasures,,HH:hello:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
You might consider asking that question to the person at your local library's Reference Desk. Also ask that person for the county's and/or state's historian and contact that person.
Good Hunting !!
Don....

SGTDirk

Sep 2, 2005
Columbia, SC
I too am in South Carolina. I got here in June and have made several trips all over the state to try and get lucky. No luck as of yet, but I try and go out just about every weekend. I am stationed at Ft. Jackson in Columbia. I have done some research on the area, and have found some good resources for research. If your interested in chatting let me know, and I will be happy to combine our resources or even go out together. Always better to do with friends.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What area are you in I have some gold maps from maps.com covering Alabama GA, NC, SC There are alot of place in the carolinas that have old mines but have not done any research to see if the property has a claim on it or not.. HH

SGTDirk

Sep 2, 2005
Columbia, SC
From what I've read you can't file for a claim anywhere in SC. All the land is private owned or national parks and forrests. Parks, state or national, can't be mined at all. The forrests can but you have to get permission from the forrest ranger and nothing larger than a gold pan. Sluices are a no go. But in what little experiance that I have most people are very freindly as long as you ask first. Like I said, e-mail me if your interested in going out maybe we can get lucky.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KevinInColorado told you right . Only one way to KNOW for SURE .

Seems like some guys don't want to hear that . They want to KNOW
for SURE before they even get dirty . Not saying your one of those .

Study up , then start logging some foot and work hours . Keep records .

Luck to ya .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The three rules of prospecting have never changed: 1. Test; 2. Test; 3. Test! Have fun while you're out there testing and welcome to the fantastic pursuit of gold.

All the best,

Lanny

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clancy... Lanny gave you rules 1,2 and 3. Rule no. 4 is.... go where its been found before. Also, the amount you find in SC will not be much. ANYTHING is considered good. If you can get over to AZ, I'll put you on some gold. Stay in my RV cost free. The places I dig are about 7 miles from the RV. One more rule.... the amount of gold you find is directly proportional to the amount of sweat expended. Take care. TTC

SGTDirk

Sep 2, 2005
Columbia, SC
Okay, so I'm located in Columbia, SC. I am looking for someone to go prospecting with. If your interested in having someone to go out with, hit me up and we can get together. I try to go every weekend.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I would ask family, friends of the family, coworkers, neighbors, or anyone you have a reasonable chance of getting access to their property and checking those spots out. You can also try putting ads up on craigslist asking for places to pan but be careful some shady folks there. Baring that, you can try talking to people and asking for access. Or just do what I do most of the time, and head to the pay to play sites in NC. Still great gold at some of those spots, if you put in the time to find it with a pan. I was up at thermal city today and just in the short time I was talking to someone at the flume, one guy got 20+ pieces of coarse gold from a pan there.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Terry. How is the weather this time of year?

BangTango

Feb 24, 2009
Go to Mc Cormick SC, lots of gold there in the creeks, it was one of the first places gold was found in the South that started the Gold Rush Before California!. Have been there and never left empty handed..hope this helps..Bang

SGTDirk

Sep 2, 2005
Columbia, SC
Made the trek to McCormick this weekend. Only problem I saw was every creek is seasonal? I couldn't believe it. I had to have checked out 50 creeks and everyone was dry.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool Terry. How is the weather this time of year?
The weather can be down into the 40s at night. Daytime temps are 70s and 80s. We are now starting THE SEASON! Too hot in the summer. Virtually all locals hit the claims from now to May. C'mon down! Watch for SupaFly's report of how he did in the Stanton area. TTC

GOLDHUNTER2009

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2010
I may have to try McCormick out this weekend with the temps dropping down. I live in Lancaster so the drive wouldn't be too far. Can prospect at Hailes Gold mine so McCormick might be my best best. Were you looking for creeks in Baker's State Park?

SGTDirk

Sep 2, 2005
Columbia, SC
I looked all over. The state park doesn't allow prospecting but I went all the way around McCormick for about 20 miles and I couldn't find a fricking creek with water flowing.

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
keep looking, this time of the year we seem to dry up here n the south. anyone around you prospect? might need to team up with them. GOODLUCK TO YOU!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread