Carsonia Park Berks County

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
this might be a doable spot for any metal detectors...
It is said in 1908, 250,000 people visited the 150 acre park.
there was a large ballroom which fell victim to arson in 1960.
A large lake, which still exists today, at one time the park also
boasted a picnic grove, a theatre, a carousel, and 40 different attractions.
(including one of the earliest roller coasters ever built)

Opened in 1896 and closed in 1950.
http://www.defunctparks.com/parks/PA/carsonia/carsonia.htm
http://www.berkshistory.org/carsonia/

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
The area is pretty much a housing development today. Has been for a number of years. Not much left of the original park which by the way I visited with my parents as a kid.
BJW

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vpm43779.jpg

1907.jpg

CARSONIA1927A.jpg

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
I guess what I need to do is take a drive over there sometime. I think you may be correct about Anthony's restaurant being on the property that was the park. To be honest I can't remember much regarding the park, too long ago. Thanks for the pictures, Jeff. I have a few in one of my books.
BJW

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I moved to NJ I lived in Mt Penn on the mountainside overlooking where Carsonia Park was, yes, all developed now and I doubt if worth even trying, the area is well known and if any open areas worth hunting existed I am sure been hit hard after all these decades.

My father met my mother at the park back just around the time WW2 started.

Don

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
they met and then there was you...that's neat. All I remember is really looking forward to going there with my parents. It was the only "trolley park" that I ever got to.
BJW

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have detected around the lake which still exists and pulled some silver and wheaties.

Don

hkeagles

Aug 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site. I stumbled across it when I was searching for old pics of Carsonia Park. I currently reside within a mobile home commmunity beside the park and I am at Carsonia Park on a daily basis. I am seeking anyone with more pics and info on the park as it was back in the day. Years ago my mother and a friend Discovered huge chain links as if it were from some sort of amusement ride behind her home within weeds and brush. That is what got me started in searching for the History of Carsonia Park....... once again any pics or anything on the Park would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and God Bless ! Harlan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread