Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quindy,
Congrats on an awesome d...love the acorn and my banner vote is in.

I just checked the top ten list and even though I have never hunted in TN apparently I'm the 5th most interesting relic hunter in TN...odd how something work out.

NJ

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a cool find, that is awesome.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
It's banner time in Tennessee. Congratulations on a stellar find. :thumbsup:
Dman

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please educate me. Is this a banner find because it is a nicely carved bullet or is there significance to the acorn shape? It really is a beauty!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very unique find :icon_thumleft: looks good on top. Jim

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quindy,
Congrats to a well deserved BANNER CW find. :occasion14: That piece even looks better up top. :thumbsup:
Great piece of history. I can almost picture a CW soldier sitting around a fire carving it, wondering what the next day will be like. :dontknow:
Well done,
Dug

Attachments

• Jack Link.jpg
    Jack Link.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 3,618
  • Jack Link.jpg
    Jack Link.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 3,564

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Please educate me. Is this a banner find because it is a nicely carved bullet or is there significance to the acorn shape? It really is a beauty!
Oh yes, significance AND shape Romeo...very rare find!!!

Attachments

• 220px-XIVcorpsbadge1.png
    220px-XIVcorpsbadge1.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 3,602
  • 220px-XIVcorpsbadge2.png
    220px-XIVcorpsbadge2.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 3,585
  • 220px-XIVcorpsbadge3.png
    220px-XIVcorpsbadge3.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 3,581
  • 120px-XIVcorpsbadge.png
    120px-XIVcorpsbadge.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 3,577
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Both Romeo. Carved bullets are found in a ratio of about 1 to 200 that you dig here in Tennessee. Bored soldiers carved them in camps. Just because you can see knife marks on them doesn't mean they were carved. You find more "whittled" than carved on bullets like a bullet cut in half. It's rare to find one like this as it happens to be the same shape as a U.S. CW "Corps" badge. The corps of the Union adopted symbols used as corps badges during the war. Note the page from Time Life Books that I attached. This one happens to be the same symbol of the U.S. 14th Corps which was stationed close by here early in the war. However as Zaxfire's info. shows, the 14th corps did not FORMALLY adopt the acorn as their corps badge until they were stationed near Chattanooga, TN (over 120 miles away) in late 1863. This camp was used in mid to late 1862. We will never know for sure who carved it. The "acorn" is .680 in. diameter. Most you see are carved from a .58 cal. 3 ring bullet so the relic dealers told me. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• Corps Badges (495x640).jpg
    Corps Badges (495x640).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 3,624
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Quindy,
Congrats to a well deserved BANNER CW find. :occasion14: That piece even looks better up top. :thumbsup:
Great piece of history. I can almost picture a CW soldier sitting around a fire carving it, wondering what the next day will be like. :dontknow:
Well done,
Dug
I can't tell you how many times I have regretted letting TENN JOSH make that pic last winter as you and Nana continue to edit it-LOL. Thanks MM, Q.

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
ModernMiner said:
Quindy,
Well done,
Dug
I can't tell you how many times I have regretted letting TENN JOSH make that pic last winter as you and Nana continue to edit it-LOL. Thanks MM, Q.

HA! Jack Wagon has a picture file on all of us Q! You never when or how he will use them! ;D
Congrats on making Banner! :thumbsup:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on making the Banner with one of the coolest things I ever saw, :icon_thumright: ! When I see stuff like that I think about when the guy was actually doing the carving it and what was going on around him at the time, nice piece of History, :headbang: !

TommNJ

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A BIG thank you to all who looked, replied, and voted on the acorn for banner. I attached a pic of a dropped .69 cal. 3 ringer that I dug from that same CSA camp and the carved tooth came from within one hundred yards or so from where I dug the acorn bullet. I believe the .69 cal. 3 ringer is an Austrian but haven't measured it. I'm still trying to determine whether the acorn was just carved by a CSA Soldier or a captured U.S. 14th Corps symbol left in a Union cartridge box. Thanks for all your support, Quindy.

Attachments

• CSA Cav. Camp.jpg
    CSA Cav. Camp.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3,450

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well look at you! Way to go on the banner! :hello2: And I'm sure there will be another up there before the season is over this year. :icon_thumright:
I'll be nice since you are doing research for me today and NOT re-edit that photo again. :tongue3: :D

CONGRATS!!

Nana :hello:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Quindy. And Congrats on making the banner. Looks good up there. :thumbsup:

DirtMan1

Jul 30, 2010
VOL1266-X said:
romeo-1 said:
Both Romeo. Carved bullets are found in a ratio of about 1 to 200 that you dig here in Tennessee. Bored soldiers carved them in camps. Just because you can see knife marks on them doesn't mean they were carved. You find more "whittled" than carved on bullets like a bullet cut in half. It's rare to find one like this as it happens to be the same shape as a U.S. CW "Corps" badge. The corps of the Union adopted symbols used as corps badges during the war. Note the page from Time Life Books that I attached. This one happens to be the same symbol of the U.S. 14th Corps which was stationed close by here early in the war. However as Zaxfire's info. shows, the 14th corps did not FORMALLY adopt the acorn as their corps badge until they were stationed near Chattanooga, TN (over 120 miles away) in late 1863. This camp was used in mid to late 1862. We will never know for sure who carved it. The "acorn" is .680 in. diameter. Most you see are carved from a .58 cal. 3 ring bullet so the relic dealers told me. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.

Congratulations on the Banner. :thumbsup: I'd have to say that you're splitting hairs however to the above reference between "Carved" and "Whittled" bullets. I've dug with alot of relic hunters over the years and they've all called them carved bullets the majority of the time, sometimes called them whittled but they've invariably always used the terms interchangeably. Some are just carved into pieces, others carved into Masterpieces such as chess pieces and corps badges but the term "carved" as in "carved up lead" has always been used to represent both.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DirtMan1 said:
VOL1266-X said:
romeo-1 said:

Congratulations on the Banner. :thumbsup: I'd have to say that you're splitting hairs however to the above reference between "Carved" and "Whittled" bullets. I've dug with relic hunters for years and they've all called them carved bullets the majority of the time, sometimes called them whittled but they've invariably always used the terms interchangeably.
Thanks Dirtman1. Let me clarify what I meant. a "whittled" bullet simply has knife marks on it. I have always considered a "carved' bullet to be one where the soldier attempted to depict an object or animal. To your point, where do you draw the line between a "carved" bullet and soldier's art? I guess the price determines that because I saw a carved pig on a relic site bring $200 and I was told by another dealer that it sold for $1,000 the last time it changed hands. Go figure!!! Thanks for looking, Quindy.

Thanks Jesse (Mainer) and I'm glad your boat survived the hurricane there. I'm looking forward to my Maine lobsters-LOL. Quindy

DirtMan1

Jul 30, 2010
VOL1266-X said:
DirtMan1 said:
VOL1266-X said:
romeo-1 said:

Congratulations on the Banner. :thumbsup: I'd have to say that you're splitting hairs however to the above reference between "Carved" and "Whittled" bullets. I've dug with relic hunters for years and they've all called them carved bullets the majority of the time, sometimes called them whittled but they've invariably always used the terms interchangeably.
Thanks Dirtman1. Let me clarify what I meant. a "whittled" bullet simply has knife marks on it. I have always considered a "carved' bullet to be one where the soldier attempted to depict an object or animal. To your point, where do you draw the line between a "carved" bullet and soldier's art? I guess the price determines that because I saw a carved pig on a relic site bring $200 and I was told by another dealer that it sold for $1,000 the last time it changed hands. Go figure!!! Thanks for looking, Quindy.

Thanks Jesse (Mainer) and I'm glad your boat survived the hurricane there. I'm looking forward to my Maine lobsters-LOL. Quindy

Yes Sir, the Price....it always comes down to the Money (as with Everything it seems)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread