Carved Antler Pipe - Please help me identify age

Wheeler

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We found this pipe about 10 plus years ago in a South Georgia field undergoing preparation for construction. Fill dirt was being hauled in from elsewhere and dumped and spread about. This pipe was in that fill dirt along with fossiled shells. My husband cleaned the dirt and grime off of it. It is intricately carved with crossed arrows and tomahawks on the shaft. The end of the bowl has a carved eagle's head and an arrow on each side. Any chance this could be from early America, post colonial to Civil War? Or do you think it's newer?

001.JPG

002.JPG
004.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

Upvote 0

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
My two cents say it is recently made, probably from an artistic hippy doper that carved it.:laughing7: .I know several people around my area that make(and use them) .It has been my experience that antler tines,much like hair, wouldn't last long, unless submerged.

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw some of those pipes just like that back in the 90's at an Indian reservation, and yep it was strictly being used for smoking pot. I would say its fairly new, when i say that now it could be from the 70's or later who knows.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think newer...older antler would not hold up in the ground unless it was preserved somehow in a matrix that would keep it from deteriorating. Such as ground that was hard packed clay.

NJ

OP
OP
W

Wheeler

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all of your opinions. It is very helpful. South Georgia is known for its red clay soil, however, the tooling of this piece definitely seems to favor 20th century creation. I wish it were older but it's still super! (That's my 1970's take on it.)

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat little keeper anyway. Something to pass o n.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a nice find no matter the age, Congrats....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread