Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like brass or cooper? Interesting but probably not NA maybe Historical

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably bronze.. Where did you get it? Any info will help.
It looks Roman

Last edited:
OP
OP
charr45

charr45

Jun 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it in a Pennsylvania field. I also found Colonial coins there to.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's an odd thing. I collected Greek and Roman coins, but the motifs on that don't resemble any ancient coinage I'm personally familiar with. I can see why it resembles coinage and the 4 legged animal side looks worn pretty good at the animal's feet. Not the kind of patina you'd expect from real old bronze, though. Bottom line, ya got me:icon_scratch:

There are many 19th century political tokens. One from Andrew Jackson's time picture a donkey. But a google image search of "19th century American political tokens" brought up nothing similar, and I don't think such tokens would ever be thick like that, which is typical of ancient coinage. But with no lettering around the border, and lack of deep patina, that steers me away from ancient. But you never know, maybe it is. No comparison, but here's a political token from 1830's...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw your original post and subscribed because it's an interesting find... What about a size comparison next to a quarter or something and a digital scale to weigh it may help the experts ID it. Just my thoughts to help ID it. It's an awesome find. I normally don't hunt too many farm fields, but I think when I get up to school (Butler co) I may try it more. Nice dig.

mrsljwalker

Jul 20, 2013
That is really neat. The side with two aligned figures appears to me to resemble eskimo art I've seen of whales. Another possibility you could research is norse or viking art. Whatever it is, it's cool for sure. If I can find a similar image I'll try to post it-I like treasure hunting on the internet.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know if you gave it a thorough cleaning and that's why it looks the way it does

OP
OP
charr45

charr45

Jun 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just soap water toothbrush and rubbing

D_river

Greenie
Jul 27, 2014
Several ancient coins feature 2 fish on one side. Some ancient Greek coins even had 2 dolphins. Imo the 2 fish on your coin look like Pilot whales, which would lean towards Norse.

mrsljwalker

Jul 20, 2013
Well, my internet treasure hunt was somewhat fruitless. The most similar coins I saw were runic, celtic, and phoenician. the image on reverse of the whales seems to be a horse and above looks like a fishhook. Really a cool coin in any case. I hope you figure out something definitive and let us know.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen that image but cannot remember where it was. Perhaps in petroglyphs or some ancient coin. Given how well it came out of the ground - it may be a reproduction of some coin. Cool find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread