Carved Ivory Sheath & Knife

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Carved Ivory Sheath & Knife

I'm sure many of you can identify with this...Visiting my parents today and always seem to see interesting things that have been collected over the years. They bought this in an antique store in England in the 1960s and don't know anything about it. Beautiful carvings of Asian figures...any feedback on the era greatly appreciated. Thank you. (There are no markings anywhere)

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,222
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 951
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 939
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 951
Upvote 1

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
Re: Carved Ivory Sheath & Knife

not sure of the age but i dont think its ivory. very cool though! :notworthy: ;D

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005

That is a real cool knife, very interesting. Thanks for the pic! :headbang:

trixie charger

Aug 31, 2010
N.C.

The figures are Japanese, it's very possible it could be Real Ivory :icon_thumright: You cant tell true Ivory from a pic, they have a imitation that mimics it very close. Age maybe 1880's-1910's not sure though :icon_scratch: Take it to a reputable Antique Dealer,
they should be able to tell if it's real, and sellable (endangered species act). Very nice though :notworthy: :headbang: The fact it doesn't have marks is good!, most Katanas or "Daggers" will have their Marks under the handles if they are quality items.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm no expert,but lived in Japan when I was young,and have seen these. I belevie it is a Hari Kari Knife. But have no idea of its age . Nice find !

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice piece.
Look for any pores on surfaces, real ivory will have none, resin castings will.
a hot sewing needle touched to inside of sheath should not smell of plastic, but burning hair.
believe 'legal' ivory has to be around turn of the century.
I love this substance with it's many artistic uses.
Thanks for sharing this :hello:

Attachments

• IVORY 009 copy.jpg
    IVORY 009 copy.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 630
  • IVORY 008 copy.jpg
    IVORY 008 copy.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 618

awolf

Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure many of you can identify with this...Visiting my parents today and always seem to see interesting things that have been collected over the years. They bought this in an antique store in England in the 1960s and don't know anything about it. Beautiful carvings of Asian figures...any feedback on the era greatly appreciated. Thank you. (There are no markings anywhere)

I also have a knife very similar to yours. mine is slightly damaged. I would love to know more about it!! 103_1238.JPG 103_1236.JPG 103_1237.JPG

stevo54

Aug 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a knife like this can anyone tell me if and what it's worth please

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
very likely a WW2 era "bring back" item from a British soldier stationed in japan(post war) or taken off a Japanese officer during the war ..the brit likely later on sold it to the British Antique store your folks found it in --looks to be a Japanese carved ivory (aka as "scrimshaw" ) knife

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread