Eyefind

Eyefind

Jul 11, 2021
Pa
Detector(s) used
Garret 250, Garret pro pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black sand stone material will come out and it will be more visible to you all. I have two Native American Adze and this is not an Adze. I have found lots of things and been in my local paper and on t.v.. I have already found my pearls in life. This is just interesting and you all are bating around a four leaf clover and I'm telling you 1000 percent its there and you can't see it. That's ok Im working on it to help you see.

As stated there are no signs of being worked by man, blow the picture up and point out the marks left by man working on it, where are the grinding and flaking signs?

Your opening post said it "Looks and feels like a handle to tool or blade maybe. Not sure." So where are the marks from being worked on?
There's a black sand stone material in the etchings. The lighter the color the closer you are to the original material which I believe to be granite but it has an oily brown stain on it. Oily when wet. The etching can be seen. Here is a half circle and I agree a better camera that you can zoom is needed and I'm on it. The eye is a perfect half circle.

Attachments

• 16624902390356779975928461463680.jpg
    16624902390356779975928461463680.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Eyefind

Eyefind

Jul 11, 2021
Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a black sand stone material in the etchings. The lighter the color the closer you are to the original material which I believe to be granite but it has an oily brown stain on it. Oily when wet. The etching can be seen. Here is a half circle and I agree a better camera that you can zoom is needed and I'm on it. The eye is a perfect half circle.
The black material is packed into the etchings. Focus on the black areas that will help bring out the pictures.

OP
OP
Eyefind

Eyefind

Jul 11, 2021
Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black material is packed into the etchings. Focus on the black areas that will help bring out the pictures.
Plenty of evidence of being worked. Is this picture there is a half circle that's sunk in
As stated there are no signs of being worked by man, blow the picture up and point out the marks left by man working on it, where are the grinding and flaking signs?

Your opening post said it "Looks and feels like a handle to tool or blade maybe. Not sure." So where are the marks from being worked on?

Attachments

• 16624910738224294728797042920464.jpg
    16624910738224294728797042920464.jpg
    638.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Eyefind

Eyefind

Jul 11, 2021
Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of evidence of being worked. Is this picture there is a half circle that's sunk in
Two faces. Split on the hilt. One happy one sad.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no signs or marks of being worked by man..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disagree.
Blow up the picture and show where the marks are from being worked by man, there would be marks from the grinding and being worked.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If someone is interested and wants to find out more about it I'm all game. It is a mystery that needs solved. I will go anywhere reasonable if I'm not somewhere exploring.
As someone who authenticates antiquities for auction houses, and has for 30 years, I can tell you without doubt It's not a mystery. It's already solved. It's natural, with no added decoration.

Your photos are perfectly adequate. As many have said here, there's absolutely no evidence of it being altered by man. And yes, the evidence would be pronounced enough to see even in your photos.

It also does not fit stylistically into any culture, ancient or modern--not Asian, not African, not European, not American, nothing.

Take it to a MAJOR museum or auction house. Local museum curators and local auctions or dealers aren't generally formally educated and often misidentify artifacts.

After you've handled as many authentic artifacts (and fakes, natural items) as many of us here, you'll understand.

OP
OP
Eyefind

Eyefind

Jul 11, 2021
Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who authenticates antiquities for auction houses, and has for 30 years, I can tell you without doubt It's not a mystery. It's already solved. It's natural, with no added decoration.

Your photos are perfectly adequate. As many have said here, there's absolutely no evidence of it being altered by man. And yes, the evidence would be pronounced enough to see even in your photos.

It also does not fit stylistically into any culture, ancient or modern--not Asian, not African, not European, not American, nothing.

Take it to a MAJOR museum or auction house. Local museum curators and local auctions or dealers aren't generally formally educated and often misidentify artifacts.

After you've handled as many authentic artifacts (and fakes, natural items) as many of us here, you'll understand.
Again to authenticate anything from a picture is impossible and to claim that you can is crazier then the claim that something is there. You should know that being in the business 30 years and all. Not very reputable to make such a claim. Besides I have all the cards and I haven't shared all the data that proves all of you wrong. My interest isn't even in doing so and that means on my time I'll share it. I have better things to do like getting my hands dirty discovering things. Found this yesterday. Same place I find the artifacts and there is no outcrop of white fern fossils locally. It's a mystery.

Attachments

• 1662999444493757498139968014219.jpg
    1662999444493757498139968014219.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Eyefind

Eyefind

Jul 11, 2021
Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archeologist this and archeologist that, How about it just being a petrified turd that some dinosaur deposited many years ago just waiting for that stream to take it to you. That conclusion could have some merit like other conclusions above. It is still an interesting piece.
That would be cool and wouldn't mind finding any petrified turds. First rule of a plumber is turds flow down hill and second to wash your hands after you eat. Being a petrified turd one could turn it into a spoon and eat from it. Would be even better to sell such spoons to people that think it's just a stone one. Lol.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Again to authenticate anything from a picture is impossible and to claim that you can is crazier then the claim that something is there. You should know that being in the business 30 years and all. Not very reputable to make such a claim. Besides I have all the cards and I haven't shared all the data that proves all of you wrong. My interest isn't even in doing so and that means on my time I'll share it. I have better things to do like getting my hands dirty discovering things. Found this yesterday. Same place I find the artifacts and there is no outcrop of white fern fossils locally. It's a mystery.

This is simply not true. Although under some circumstances it would certainly be impossible to authenticate from photos, in other cases it's an extremely easy and reliable method.

In the case of your stone, there are specific signs that would be identifiable in your photos that would indicate being altered by man. They would not be difficult to see. They would not be visible only under magnification. They would be extremely obvious. Your photos are sharp enough to show these signs.

If, however, those obvious signs of being manmade did show up in your photos, that wouldn't prove it to be manmade or not a modern fake. That's when it would be crucial to examine the piece in person, looking under extreme magnification for evidence of mineralization, dendritic patterns to those minerals, microscopic crystals, and overall patina. In other words, photos can be used to determine if an item is not altered by man, but they cannot be used to confirm that it was.

But believe as you wish.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still natural, still no signs of being worked by man. The sooner you start to listen to others and educated yourself on artifacts, the sooner you can stop wasting time on this thing and get out there to find some real artifacts.

CanSlawKing

May 9, 2016
Longmont, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you authenticate that this is a traffic light. Keep in mind, it's just a picture.
5-1.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread