Carving of George Washington?

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P1030348.JPG P1030354.JPG P1030353.JPG P1030350.JPG P1030358.jpg P1030345.jpg

Overall it is 2.75in x 2.5in x 1in

The bust carving is roughly 1.5in x .75in

Weighs 5.2oz

The material feels dense and waxy...steatite /soapstone? The backside is covered with shallow striations/grooves all going in the same direction. It has scattered pitting all over except within the carved bust area. I read that soapstone is not porous, so I'm not sure if it is pitting due to age or made of a porous material. I read that soapstone was used for silver and pewter molds.

I believe it is too large to have been used for sealing letters with wax. I have seen framed miniature profiles of George Washington made of wax that are from the early 1800s...maybe this was a mold for that purpose?

My questions are: How old do you think it is? What could it be made of? What was it made for or is it just folk art? Have you seen anything comparable that could steer me in the right direction? Any suggestions on a type of expert or museum I should reach out to?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice mold no idea what its made of where did ya find it

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have i think is a George Washington Medallion type artifact if you notice the picture i posted, that is a portrait of a George Washington Medallion and that is the same image i see on your artifact and that is the type of image people used to make a medallion of GW. I do not know how the artifact is been kept or stored over the years but it appears to be not of 18th century! they manufactured this image of him all the way up until today... if i had to say it looks like someone could have made this in late 19th century or 20th century but you can tell whoever had it or has had it is taken good care of it.

Attachments

• washington.jpg
    washington.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Upvote 0

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
When you say

"I believe it is too large to have been used for sealing letters with wax. I have seen framed miniature profiles of George Washington made of wax that are from the early 1800s...maybe this was a mold for that purpose?"

How big is it exactly? Take another photo with a ruler!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread