Case Full of Civil War Relics Found Over the Past 2 1/2 Days!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictured are all of my finds from 2 1/2 days at DIV. I had a great time & saved some nice pieces of Civil War history. We were searching a large dug in winter camp, there were some amazing finds made (record breaking). I felt privileged to have the opportunity to save some home history from such a historic site. The friends and beautiful scenery were awesome as well. Can't wait to do it again! (note - 1 bullet is a Sharpes, not Spencer, wasn't thinking before I type!) 1_div.png 2_div.png 3_div.png 4_div.png 5_div.png 6_div.png 7_div.png 8_div.png 9_div.png 10_div.png 11_div.png 12_div.png

Last edited:
Upvote 24

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man what a great hunt you had!!! Congrats!!!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always liked the way you layout your post.. They are hands down the BEST!!!!! Congratz on all the great finds.... I hope to one day experience a DIV hunt!!!!!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a hugely successful civil war hunt!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the awesome CW relic hunt! :occasion14:

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and pics, what an epic hunt(s). Interesting on that fatty IH, not a lawnmower cut, purposefully cut by a soldier.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and pics, what an epic hunt(s). Interesting on that fatty IH, not a lawnmower cut, purposefully cut by a soldier.
I agree, the edges are also worked. Maybe they were trying to make a ring? It's more interesting than a coin in perfect condition! Like I always say, every relic tells a story...

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you had a great DIV hunt Josh! congrats!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome digs, it appears you got your monies worth while at the DIV event. Which detector were you swinging?

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, love your finds and really appreciate the format of your post. Congrats. -Lisa & John

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictured are all of my finds from 2 1/2 days at DIV. I had a great time & saved some nice pieces of Civil War history. We were searching a large dug in winter camp, there were some amazing finds made (record breaking). I felt privileged to have the opportunity to save some home history from such a historic site. The friends and beautiful scenery were awesome as well. Can't wait to do it again! (note - 1 bullet is a Sharpes, not Spencer, wasn't thinking before I type!) View attachment 1378928 View attachment 1378929 View attachment 1378930 View attachment 1378931 View attachment 1378932 View attachment 1378933 View attachment 1378934 View attachment 1378935 View attachment 1378936 View attachment 1378937 View attachment 1378938 View attachment 1378939

I think the Indian head fatty was turned into a home made thumb type of screw driver. I shoot traditional muzzle loading guns and have seen many original examples of improvised hand made tools. I think that is exactly what you have and would have been used to remove or tighten the screws to the hammer or screws securing the barrel to a stock. Because of the way it is worked you can generate more torque. Nice find.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Indian head fatty was turned into a home made thumb type of screw driver. I shoot traditional muzzle loading guns and have seen many original examples of improvised hand made tools. I think that is exactly what you have and would have been used to remove or tighten the screws to the hammer or screws securing the barrel to a stock. Because of the way it is worked you can generate more torque. Nice find.

That makes a lot of sense. It was definitely made this way on purpose, thanks for the insight. A really neat piece of history!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of relics. Thanks for posting. We need to save what's left before it is all under blacktop. Congrats

HH RN

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes a lot of sense. It was definitely made this way on purpose, thanks for the insight. A really neat piece of history!

It is a really neat piece of history and a great find !! Some soldier was maintaining his weapon with it. Necessity is the mother of invention. It is really a very nice find when you know the reason behind the find.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Great finds!

A friend and I found a Union Army civil war era camp on the west coast, and have been digging the same kind of targets, it's a blast and a rare opportunity on the west coast. I can see how addicting it can become :thumbsup:

HH,
Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread