Cash For Clunkers

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
AU24K said:
Around here where I live, the "cash for clunkers" program seems to have been a huge success; I did not participate personally.
I believe the program will create jobs. In about 6 months to a year from now there will be a boom in jobs for repo men and women. Get your training and licenses now to be included in the new job market!
Scott

Yep :icon_thumright: Maybe obamanation can come up with a "cash for shacks" program. Then we can start a brand new housing crises.

John

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Yep, I wouldn't be surprised to see Obamination paying "cash for snitches". :wink:

TW

S

Smee

AU24K said:
Around here where I live, the "cash for clunkers" program seems to have been a huge success; I did not participate personally.
I believe the program will create jobs. In about 6 months to a year from now there will be a boom in jobs for repo men and women. Get your training and licenses now to be included in the new job market!
Scott

Ahhhh! Job Security!

Never repo'd cars or anything sneaky like that though. I'm always face to face with the folks I repo . . . because I have to enter their homes or places of business to do mine. On the other hand, I could have lots of fun with something like this. It's called a "Minuteman" and is quite efficient.

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x
I can't say I've checked into it in great detail but I suspect the 4500 comes off of the mfr suggested retail price which nobody pays anyways. That is probably how Dodge can match it because that's about how much a dealer would knock off anyway. I agree about the burgeoning repo business. I talked to a waitress who was all excited about her new cash for clunkers Honda Accord. Get this - she leased it.

One other thought. This is our tax dollars at work, right? I wonder if you have to prove you're a legal U.S. citizen to get the cash? Oh yeah, I forgot, it's saving the economy - just like the $600 stimulus check I got a awhile back.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
AU24K said:
Scott

The dealers are saying it's "free" money. They take it off sticker and close the deal. They get sticker for the car. It's time to "short" some auto stock. Sell then wait for the next bailout to buy more.
Newt

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
It's been on the news lately that a lot of dealers are having a hard time getting reimbursed for this program. Bet it'll be a year or two before they get the money....

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dealers don't get the cash unless they make the 'clunkers' inoperable. They have to do certain things to the car, including putting something into the engine which makes it seize up, then it has to be certified 'inoperable'. (have a friend who is a dealer taking part in the 'cash for clunkers'. So far, he hasn't seen a dime of the money, because nobody legal has come to certify the clunkers.) Meanwhile, his lot is filling up.

B

C

Cappy Z.

Its a shame our country has been economically stuffed into a recession/depression by eight years of greedy conservative-values govt. I remember when the king of the USA wanted Dubai to 'guard our ports'. lol

Cash for clunkers is s direct result of conservative values selling our country out.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU24K said:
Scott

Absolutely

Was thinking the same thing.

Everyone is trading in their "Paid For"
cars in, without regard for the $300.00
average Monthly Payments.

Other Job opening, Cheap Transportation,
bring back Trollies or busses
to get these people to work after their
vehicles are taken away.

Only way I would trade Mine is an Even deal.
No cash Outlay from me ever.

New car for Mine or Used Upgrade for mine.

& Yes drgest I'd bet
The deal would be there Even without the
trade. Only the dealers & Manufacturers
will make money once their payments roll in.

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup this is just like the housing boom that killed most people.... now its cars they cant afford.
for most people....if they COULD pay an auto loan then why haven't they bought a car since 2000 anyways?
people tend to keep cars so they don't have a payment.... how is this any different from the housing
problem.... these same people will lose their cars just like their homes.
sad... and a temporary fix. the US auto makers should have been made to go bankrupt.
thats what happens when real people don't pay their bills... they lose everything.
i don't care about the US jobs these auto makers create. they are costing all of us billions... and i
don't buy US cars and don't freakin wanna pay these workers salaries. the clunker nonsense will only make more
trouble down the road, but makes people feel good about themselves right now... they know they didnt have the credit
score to get a car six months ago... but now with clunkers... lets give the bad seeds more credit they cant pay back.
yeah... because that worked once already! STUPID FREAKIN NONSENSE!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have been a good idea if the clunkers were being traded in for energy efficient cars and trucks, something that required NO foreign oil to operate. Otherwise the government is just digging a deeper hole to throw wasted tax dollars into.

GG~

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Cappy Z. said:
Its a shame our country has been economically stuffed into a recession/depression by eight years of greedy conservative-values govt. I remember when the king of the USA wanted Dubai to 'guard our ports'. lol

Cash for clunkers is s direct result of conservative values selling our country out.

You forgot to mention who's fault it was.
Newt

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
why should the (big boy) car makers go bankrupt when they can "scam" folks into getting cars they can't afford and make the "little people" go bunkrupt instead? ---- you see the car companies already got "paid" a good bit of our money via the "bail out" --- now they want even more via cash for clunkers (which is a govt program hand out of even "more" of our money -- since all the money govt "spends" has to come from us to begin with ---since the govt "has" no money of its own --only what it gets from taxpayors) whats really great is that the $3500/4500 "govt money is "deducted" off the MSRP or "full" sticker price ---which is a price no one but a moron would otherwize agree to pay --and the dealer "matching funds " bring the price tag back to "normal" price tag amount which is where you would be at anyway normally ---so in effect by folks taking part in the program --- "we the tax paying public" are forced to into paying the $3500/4500 of inflated mark up per car "sold"---a tax payor funded give away to the car companies --- if the poor folks keep the cars and manage to pay for em --they go see the "govt" helped me and will supporrt more "giveaway" programs making them "bought and for paid "big govt" loyalist"--if not the govt can still say see we "tried" to help you. ---and the car companies get paid either way.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is why IF your going to use the program
you should shop around. Deny you have a Clunker.
tell them you will only buy if they can get you your price.
Once they drop to their absolute minimum,
If it is a deal say Oh I Guess I do
have a clunker so if you can give me the $4500 Off yet
I'll take it.

My guess they won't but only way to test them.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
allen said:
i traded my 1988 f150 in and got a
2009 saturn vue for $169 a month.
I think this program was a good thing
for the people who needed a new car !

If your 1988 was running you could use it to do odd jobs -
trash hauling - recycling and various other projects. With your
Saturn your extra work opportunities are pretty much limited
to delivering flowers and pizzas. I'm reasonably sure that it
would even be too small for a motorized newspaper route. If
you could get one of those and do one of those your pay
would be more than your car payment NOT COUNTING the
mandatory commercial car insurance required in most states.
siegfried schlagrule

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It ran but had over 190,000 miles on it and all
the problems i was having with it, it was a money pit !
i still have my 2000 f150 to do my odd jobs .
the wife wanted the all wheel drive saturn vue ,
and it gets great gas mileage and my wife loves it !

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cappy Z. said:

There is a bit of misinformation there Cappy. This happen at Port Newark either last year, or the year before and they just wanted to buy the terminal to operate. Everyone was in an uproar, but it has nothing to do with port security whatsoever. That's the news people for you, getting the story wrong.

Anyway, the majority of US terminals are owned and operated by outside nations including China. You have to keep in mind that the port is the whole docking area, and the terminals are separate entities and each port may have several terminals. So please keep in mind that no foreign power are guarding our ports, at least as of yet :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread