Cashing in some halves

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Im thinking about cashin some, so I called a couple shops. The best I could find was 3X the 40% and 8x the 90%. One place I called wanted to give me only 75 cents per 40% silver coin. That was a real coin shop too. Anyway, anybody doing better than that these days? I am looking to turn in about 230 40% coins in exchange for a 1/2 oz gold American Eagle. Then 40 90%'s for either a 1/4 oz american eagle or maybe a certified coin of some sort. Any suggestions?

Searcher

Upvote 0

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Today I traded all the silver Kennedys I found this month----26 40%ers and 6 90%ers----for a 1/10 oz gold Britannia. After tax it was 76 dollars I think. Not too bad considering the face value of the coins: 16 dollars! :o I prefer Maples, Rands, or the new Buffies, but this was my first Britannia, so I'm happy. If you have any questions about palladium, gold, or platinum coins, send me a private message. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions! :)

tw656, you could certainly get a 1/2 oz. gold American Eagle for 230 40% coins. Who knows how much you'll have left over if silver continues to rise? You should be able to get the 1/4 oz., too. Some dealers charge a higher premium than others, but if you shop around you'll be alright. Coin dealers are like banks, some are great, some leave you sick to your stomach. The smaller the amount of gold, the higher the premium. You get more gold for your buck buying larger coins. Maybe save for a full 1 oz.? They sure are pretty! Whatever you buy, good luck!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tw656 said:
Im thinking about cashin some, so I called a couple shops. The best I could find was 3X the 40% and 8x the 90%. One place I called wanted to give me only 75 cents per 40% silver coin. That was a real coin shop too. Anyway, anybody doing better than that these days? I am looking to turn in about 230 40% coins in exchange for a 1/2 oz gold American Eagle. Then 40 90%'s for either a 1/4 oz american eagle or maybe a certified coin of some sort. Any suggestions?

Searcher
The 3x and 8x prices aren't bad at all.That's about what I netted on Ebay after their fees and paypals' fees.I found a place locally that's giving the same price as you mentioned.I'm going to him the next time to avoid the hassles of Ebay.I'm gonna have to order a couple boxes Monday,it's been a while and the metal detecting finds have been slim for a while now.Need something to make me go WOOHOO!!!. ;D :D ;D :)

OP
OP
T

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Found a place that will give 3.71X on the 40% halves. Im cashing in to buy some gold.

Searcher
ps not cashing in all my silver!

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
40%ers I get 3 to1 and the 90% I get 8.5 to 1 :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread