cashing in your booty

dobie

Feb 12, 2006
corry, pa
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, bounty hunter scout
???ok,, hypothetical question here,,,not that i have, but if i do,,,,
a bank is robbed, circa 1800`s,,,,robber flees and buries loot,say around 60 to 80 thousand in gold and silver coin,now along come you around 200 years later,metal detector in hand , you stumble upon the "cashe" of a lifetime,,,,,one dollar, five dollar twenty dollar gold peices, etc., etc., you know the dream
anyway,, say it actually happened to you,,,,,,now what?
how do you take advantage of your finds,,,,i know,,,,keep your trap shut, but what would you really do, turn in one gold coin at a time at different banks ,,,,,,,just curious, for when i uhh, oops, eerr i mean ahh oh well you know
dobie

Upvote 0

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why in the world would you turn in a gold coin to a banK???? All they can do is give you face value for a piece of U.S. Currency. Kinda defeats the purpose of making a profit off of your treasure find.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
first protect preserve your find.find key dates or coins of greater value (know what you have),common dates etc.do not hurry.do a search for "american numismatic association" for ideas.you could sell or consign to coin dealers or brokers,check with different ones for info (may charge for an appraisal),or put them in an auction.
8) as for me 8)
I would use a grading service for any rare,uncommon date in extremely fine condition and up for exact asking or
bid price on the coins.I would e-bay a little at a time.a historical hoard would bring more money,but lawyers and
government types would follow.I would sell a couple coins here and there to local coin dealers to get a feel on personality and what I can get,but mostly e-bay.if I found a 1913 v nickel then I would use christies auction in nyc
after I talk to a lawyer(about me being rightful owner issues).

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any sales online can be tracked, even spread out a little, they can send up a red flag. Best thing to do is travel around to coin shows. Sell one coin at a time for cash. Do not show ID and give a fake name if asked. Go to the General Discussion section here on Tnet and read the post titled"It could happen to you" That gives you the kind of idea of what might send up some flags and get youchecked out. Spread sales out as far as you can. Travel around to make the sales in person. Anything elesctronic or having to do with online or banks can be tracked. Get a Safety Deposit box or a good bolted down safe and keep cash there instead of depositing it. Don't make large purchases.

If possible, do not tell anyone, even family, especially family. If you have a tendency to blab when drinking, either quit drinking or drink alone. Pawnshops, Jewelers and banks are the most monitored, stay away. Make up a story and memorize it forwards and backwards. If something comes up, you will screw yourself if you tella detail even slightly different from the first time you told it. Do not take any pictures or scans of the coins. Even encrypted or hidden on your computer. If you have photo or disks with photos, burn them. If they have EVER been on your computer, get a very good clean sweep or government wipe program and wipe the files and any free space on your computer where deleted files are stored. Dont quit your job or change your lifestyle. If you buy anything out of the ordinary, pay in cash. Go out with your metal detector and a camera. Dig a hole and put one of the gold coins in it. Take pictures of the single gold coin in the ground and right after you pull it out. That way, if questioned about the sale of a coin, you have picture proof that you found only one.

There is tons more. Its a dangerous gambit. Do not research the robbery or coins online as it is very easy for the govt to find out what you have been looking at should something arise.

And, most important of all, do not come to a Treasure hunting website and post a "hypothetical" situation asking for advise. The govt is probably walking up your sidewalk as we speak.. :)

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
LOL - Nathan, that's a great 'theoretical' approach to a 'hypothetical' situation. I'll keep it in mind if I ever find the big one... ;)

Actually, no, I've already forgotten everything you wrote and burned it out of my mind. I really didn't even think about doing anything you might have said.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread