Cast Aluminum Dutch Ovens - good or no good?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hola mi amigos!

I would like to hear from people that have or have used cast aluminum Dutch ovens for camp baking.

For most of my life I used an old style folding aluminum reflector oven for all of my camp baking. It worked great, but the big drawback was that it required a rather big fire (flames reaching at least half the height of the reflector to be effective) and thus used quite a bit more firewood. Plus although it was light weight enough, over time and repeated usage over the years, it was slowly getting warped out of shape and got badly damaged by a windstorm to the point that it practically needed to be rebuilt - <you can not buy this kind any more> so I ended up buying a cast iron Dutch oven. Not useful for packing in to remote sites, but still works very well for camp baking (and other things you use a large pot for) so much so that I got a second one in a smaller size. I am pretty happy with both of them however neither one is useful for backpacking. Too heavy! So I am curious about these cast aluminum Dutch ovens, will they work as well for baking bisquits, cornbread, etc? Do they need to be seasoned like cast iron, how are they to clean up after use etc? Any and all opinions on this question are invited. Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been using this one since the late 1990s 12" Aluminum Dutch Oven LOVE it! No difference but weight!

FEATURES & SPECS

Made of High-performance, heavy gauge cast aluminum.
Cast aluminum construction weighs 66% less than cast iron and never requires any seasoning.
Lid lip holds coals and charcoal for all encompassing heat and oven-like cooking.
10” model nests inside 12” Dutch oven for compact storage.
Fixed legs for added stability.

[h=3]PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS[/h]MAJOR DIMENSION: 12"
WEIGHT: 6 lbs. 1.3 oz.
DIMENSIONS: 13.50'' x 12.90'' x 6.50''
MATERIAL: Aluminum
PRODUCT USE: Destination Camping
INCLUDES:
Dutch Oven and Lid

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Been using this one since the late 1990s 12" Aluminum Dutch Oven LOVE it! No difference but weight!

FEATURES & SPECS

Made of High-performance, heavy gauge cast aluminum.
Cast aluminum construction weighs 66% less than cast iron and never requires any seasoning.
Lid lip holds coals and charcoal for all encompassing heat and oven-like cooking.
10” model nests inside 12” Dutch oven for compact storage.
Fixed legs for added stability.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

MAJOR DIMENSION: 12"
WEIGHT: 6 lbs. 1.3 oz.
DIMENSIONS: 13.50'' x 12.90'' x 6.50''
MATERIAL: Aluminum
PRODUCT USE: Destination Camping
INCLUDES:
Dutch Oven and Lid

Thanks buddy! <"Like" was not a strong enough compliment>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread