• ForumRunner_20121021_082631.png
    ForumRunner_20121021_082631.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My thought is wow. Nice pieces. I have not seen the ends like that. Really nice!

Steve0

Feb 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI, Minelab excalibur
Nice copper cast point, where ever it is from. Havent seen any out of copper but seen some of iron. Ask your friend again but this point doesn not have patina from being a water find even 1 to 15 feet deep

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a little confused I'm used to seeing archaic copper like these.
Those look roman???

Attachments

• artifacttype12.jpg
    artifacttype12.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 662

Steve0

Feb 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI, Minelab excalibur
Accually I think where i seen them was a friend bought some from china,

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't recall ever seeing or hearing about a native American cast point, or even the technology to do it, and I've seen hundreds of them.

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
Here are some more from north dakota on the missouri river. This pic is from a diff guy who posted it in the stone artifact section. The guy has over 400 of these he has found around there over the years. Notice the solid copper cast sword incuding the handle on the bottom. Im convinced these ancient people where more intelligent than we give them credit for.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121023_014941.png
    ForumRunner_20121023_014941.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 161

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do not believe those items are archaic. If so they are not from north america IMO. They may be more recent as in later then than 17 century. I am no expert but they look to well made for 4000 plus years ago in this area.

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
Guess i would have to say that i dont know any historic time period native americans with these skills either. My bet is that they are ancient and im almost 100% sure they were found in the US.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some more from north dakota on the missouri river. This pic is from a diff guy who posted it in the stone artifact section. The guy has over 400 of these he has found around there over the years. Notice the solid copper cast sword incuding the handle on the bottom. Im convinced these ancient people where more intelligent than we give them credit for.

I was NOT making a statement about their intelligence. There is a huge difference between intelligence and skill sets. If anything, I think they were more intelligent than we are, for many reasons. I've had many conversations about this with anthropologists. Think about it this way: we couldn't have biologically 'evolved' much in two generations, but most folks you ask would say we are much smarter than our grandfathers. Not true. Two could be 10 or 20 generations and so what?

Some of these copper items look European. The sword in particular.

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
Bum Luck said:
I was NOT making a statement about their intelligence. There is a huge difference between intelligence and skill sets. If anything, I think they were more intelligent than we are, for many reasons. I've had many conversations about this with anthropologists. Think about it this way: we couldn't have biologically 'evolved' much in two generations, but most folks you ask would say we are much smarter than our grandfathers. Not true. Two could be 10 or 20 generations and so what?

Some of these copper items look European. The sword in particular.

You make a good point, yet my question is why would the Europeans make swords of solid copper when they had the knowledge and skills to use iron, steel, or even brass or bronze to make such weapons. All of these metals would be much stronger than copper. Yet all we find in North America from the ancients is stone and copper weaponry. Makes more sense to me that they were made right here on U.S. soil where raw pure copper abounds by the hoards.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make a good point, yet my question is why would the Europeans make swords of solid copper when they had the knowledge and skills to use iron, steel, or even brass or bronze to make such weapons. All of these metals would be much stronger than copper. Yet all we find in North America from the ancients is stone and copper weaponry. Makes more sense to me that they were made right here on U.S. soil where raw pure copper abounds by the hoards.

First, those skills weren't universal across Europe at the same period. They were developed over time. There was a European "Copper Age", between the 5th and 6th millennium BC. The Bronze Age began about 2800 BC with the Bell Beaker culture. The Iron Age began from about 800 BC, spreading to northern Europe by 500 BC. Just a simple matter of a few thousand years, and different cultures.

Again, I've seen many hundreds of copper pieces in old collections indisputably found here, and never saw a copper sword. My guess is they're fake or from Europe. Many of these things are being found across Europe with metal detectors and are for sale on eBay and other places less traceable.

One old guy I used to buy from said that old copper is brown like a penny, whereas fake stuff has a green patina, easy to do. I learned that the hard way.

Yetie

Oct 27, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlikely

Someone is pullin your leg. These are not north American pieces. They look to be from Turkey or somewhere in the Mid East. Also as pointed out the patination for a water find is wrong. Let us know what you find out when you get the real story.

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is 2 inch conical I found recently. It is smaller than the last one I posted. Notice the black crust on it from being in a swampy area. It goes from black to red to green patina in that order. You can also see it was folded and forged by hand. No cast involved.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121027_103212.png
    ForumRunner_20121027_103212.png
    587.7 KB · Views: 154
  • ForumRunner_20121027_103250.png
    ForumRunner_20121027_103250.png
    514 KB · Views: 147

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry but this is in no way a North American Made Ancient Artifact. Good luck trying to make that from pounding a stone into a raw piece of Copper. Very cool find though. What detector was he using? Or just found it while snorkeling?

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
He told me he has divers excavating the sight. Not to sure how trust worthy he is either. I only see him about twice a year at shows etc.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

esox

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2008
Northern Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Oh, digordie. Ive been bitting my tounge sence you first posted this. I knew of this when he first claimed this. Atleast a month before you posted. But he claimed the manni river at that time. Privet lake? You cant hunt those in Wisconsin. Unless you wanna break the law. Or river for that matter. He stomps around my home turf and flaps his jaw to everyone every other week that he made another amazing discovery. Check out his youtube vidio. Type in copper culture. I wonder how he got a picture of MY D-Handle in his vidio? Its not his. Its mine. And if you see scott again. Please tell him to please return gregs pistol that he borrowed and never returned and put in a vidio about the capones and also claimed he found. But didnt. Sorry but I had it up to here with his B.S. Stay in ashland Scott. If you want one of the spearpoints like the one he claims he found. Theres still plenty left on Ebay. And SteveO. I always liked your posts. Thanks for keeping it real. Sorry again for my little rant. Last thing I want is to find out is that all my copper artifacts are made in china. Thanks alot mitchy! Oh. Dont go across the street. Cleaned out the 200 you missed.

OP
OP
digordie

digordie

Aug 18, 2012
Hey there. That guy in the youtube video you mentioned is not the same guy who showed me this point. They may be connected in some way though. The youtuber didnt show anything as detailed or advanced in craftsmanship as the point ive posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread