Cast iron stove question

Grizzly708

Sep 14, 2016
North idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently found an old home site in North Idaho. This area was a booming lumber town in the early to mid 1800s.
It appears to have been an upscale house. It was made of red brick which in this area at that time meant prestige.
I have found parts of a large cast iron stove, very nice scroll work.
To my question, the stove parts were under 2 or 3 deep in the dirt. I am wanting to know if over the decades the freezing and thawing if it would break into pieces? I can't find any hammer marks on any of it so I don't think it was broken down to pieces. .....any thoughts?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Most likely not. I would tend to think more that the metal broke probably due to a fire while the stove was hot and in use, then having cold water thrown on it. Extreme temp change would do that to cast metal. Without pics, hard to know.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
satanic cults frequently took the methods of sacrifice apart after a ceremony.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig lots of cast iron stove chunks. being cast, they can easily be busted into these odd pieces as the old stoves are replaced with new ones that utilized electricity when the homes were modernized.You'd be surprised at how much easier it was to get a stove into a trash pit by busting it to pieces.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find numerous broken cast iron stoves out in the woods. Usually the doors are still intact. If they are fancy enough, I haul them home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread