Cast Iron - What the heck!

Ocean

Nov 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone explain this to me - I found something with the two box but when I went over with my rods Nothing. This kind of stumped me. But I dug anyway - 5" down sure enough there was something. Don't know for sure what it is but pretty sure its cast iron. So I did a test with the rods.
Ran them over silver , they crossed. Ran them over a hatchet head , they crossed. Ran them over my find- cast iron , again nothing?
Does this mean they don't work on cast iron? What do you think?

OP
OP
O

Ocean

Nov 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cast iron.jpg

This is what I found

OP
OP
O

Ocean

Nov 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No , no reason to think that.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the value of the object (or the lack of value or importance) can affect how well our rods respond. Next time you go over that iron with the rods, try checking for junk, see if they respond. There are a lot of iron relics with some value, but usually these are older stuff.

OP
OP
O

Ocean

Nov 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But the thing is, they responded to the "junk" hatchet head? Seems like they would have this piece too. By the way I think it may be part of a old gate. Its definately not farm equipment (like I usually find). Its decorative. I'm assuming you mean in my mind to ask if its junk, right?

OP
OP
O

Ocean

Nov 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10Claw - I should explain my answer more. My property was once a pig farm so things close to the surface has a big chance of already being moved. Lucky me, huh!

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
10Claw - I should explain my answer more. My property was once a pig farm so things close to the surface has a big chance of already being moved. Lucky me, huh!

Ocean, thank you for the response. glad to hear that report. as for junk iron, I don't know much about it except that Del Winders said to try the rods over iron to check to see if the rays were working good. I do know that we have been having some trouble from the sun to the point that the rods will do nothing here at times.
If you want to check on whats happening with the sun, on your google or whatever you have - type in--:icon_thumleft: SOLARHAM.com
that site is very good on updates and explains the solar winds etc., etc. thumb in wrong place, like mine is sometimes.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you check your hole to see if anything might be hidden under it?

You can ask a question with rods if checking a spot your metal detector beeped. It is like getting a yes/no answer. But now that you've seen what it is, maybe another reason why they don't respond.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Ocean

Nov 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to do a series of test to try and fig. this out. (as soon as ice melts from last storm) I really don't care if my dowsing rods don't pick up cast iron unless its a pot with gold or silver inside,Ha! I'll take a cast iron skillet , bury it and check. Then I'll dig it up put a good size piece of silver in it and bury again and check. This will be interesting. I'll let you know my results in a few days. Thanks for your input.
I will also check that site 10claw, can't be to careful, ya know. Maybe it was just something going on that day as thats the only time I did it.

p.s. I do love my dowsing rods. Sometimes I wonder if they're better than my md. But as usual as with anything its the interrupting thats challenging.

OP
OP
O

Ocean

Nov 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to do a series of test to try and fig. this out. (as soon as ice melts from last storm) I really don't care if my dowsing rods don't pick up cast iron unless its a pot with gold or silver inside,Ha! I'll take a cast iron skillet , bury it and check. Then I'll dig it up put a good size piece of silver in it and bury again and check. This will be interesting. I'll let you know my results in a few days. Thanks for your input.
I will also check that site 10claw, can't be to careful, ya know. Maybe it was just something going on that day as thats the only time I did it.

p.s. I do love my dowsing rods. Sometimes I wonder if they're better than my md. But as usual as with anything its the interrupting thats challenging.

OP
OP
O

Ocean

Nov 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My results with my dowsing rods (home made)

Cast iron skillet - rods did not cross
Cream Corn Can - rods did not cross Skillet placed over corn can - did not cross
Silver box - crossed Skillet placed over silver box - crossed
Aluminum Can - crossed Skillet placed over al. can - crossed

So I guess what this tells me is I won't find anything cast iron unless there is silver or aluminum in it and thats OK. Anyway I found this interesting, hope you do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions