Cast sterling bars

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a post on here before about someone casting their own bars. I took some jewelry to a friend of ours was a jeweler and asked him if he could melt sterling down into bars. This is what I got. He charged me. $10 to make them. They are marked sterling.

image-664015231.jpg

image-2308513781.jpg

image-2772704106.jpg

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has what exactly to do with garage sales? I think your post belongs elsewhere unless you got them at a garage sale which you already said you didn't.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I don't have a problem with this being here. The jewelry came from garage sales, no harm done, I have done a little of this myself. Post on, Beachkid!!

T.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I just bought a torch, molds, crucibles, chemicals, stamps, and everything else to cast my bars. I'll let you guys know how they turn out

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good way to keep room in the safe... just don't keel over having left them laying around, your relatives may think they are junk metal or garbage.

I think they would look dynamite all polished up or get some fake Spanish assayer markings added to it.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a good way to keep room in the safe... just don't keel over having left them laying around, your relatives may think they are junk metal or garbage.

I think they would look dynamite all polished up or get some fake Spanish assayer markings added to it.

Mine are gonna be mirrored:) I already bought everything for em:D haha

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, I want to make a cast of my winkie in silver...I got to save up a lot more first!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told to use a large torch, but at $6 a bar to have them melted down, I'll just go to him. Maybe when my kids are more independent ill be able to have time for my own. There 7,6,2. So it may be awhile!

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told to use a large torch, but at $6 a bar to have them melted down, I'll just go to him. Maybe when my kids are more independent ill be able to have time for my own. There 7,6,2. So it may be awhile!

It "MAY" be a while, no no it "WILL" be a while!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind of cool I suppose. To be honest, I dont really see the point but it is still kind of cool. Enjoy your bars.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When one melts down scrap jewelry and it includes chains or any jewelry that has been made with soldered joints it should not be marked sterling since it will no longer assay out at a true 925. I make a lot of sterling jewelry and when I sell my scraps and or mistakes back to the supplier they pay a lot less for soldered pieces than clean pieces since any silver that has been soldered has to be re-refined and alloyed before it can be sold as sterling. Nobody who knows the score will pay full sterling prices for home made ingots due to this fact. One doesn't at all make their melted down jewelry more valuable by making such bars, and it is actually illegal to mark such bars of scrap as sterling since it will not assay out at 925. It is OK if all the pieces were cast sterling, but if there are soldered pieces in the batch stamping them sterling is in fact a misrepresentation. American made jewelry that is constructed with solder is legally marked sterling but once such pieces are melted it is not. English solder constructed jewelry has to assay 925 with the solder so they need to use a higher grade of silver to start or include enough 999 in the construction to balance out the solder so the piece if melted still assays out at 925.

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's start a petition and get him thrown in jail! Wrong forum, stupid to make bars, and possible wrong stamps! Sounds like a hardened criminal to me!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is estimated that 30% or more is marked wrong. But its a great post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread