Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the castle on the 4th as I remembered my last visit the workers said they will be moving dirt around all summer. They were working today as well. Good guys, they even showed me where they had found some cross bow bolt tips although, I already knew the area. One guy said here comes the Digger guy as I walked up with my gear, LOL. These guys are from another Historical Society and want me to help them with their museum finds, a slight conflict of interest but I said I would consider it. One guy said he went to look at my museum display and he really liked it. I showed him a cross bow bolt tip I just found and had a hard time convincing him to let me keep it but he knew it would go into my museum display, that’s when he asked me to help them. Here’s the area where the finds came from, the base of the castle and also where it was attacked the hardest in the 1400’s. All the loose dirt will be removed to the bedrock and spread out and there is a lot of dirt here. Found a bolt tip near the base of the tower.
4Jul11FindArea.jpg

The backhoe and the reason I am allowed to detect here.
4Jul11Backhoe.jpg

Found this large cannon ball fragment my last visit, gave it to the castle club as they also have a larger piece of it I found 10 years ago and reburied. It would have been very large, bigger than a basketball, fused with a charge inside and I understand it was launched via catapult. The piece I found here has part of the fuse hole. A little research on this confused me. They recently found two intact balls at a castle site here in Germany from the early 1600s. Check it out if you want.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,769016,00.html
4Jul11CBall2.jpg

The guys working on the castle had found this relic just before I got there and they asked me what it was. We all thought it might be a sickle but the blade is not sharp, round on the end and it seems too small to be a sickle.
4Jul11Relic.jpg

The castle finds. A small lead spindle whorl in nice condition. I already put it in the museum.
4Jul11SpinWirt.jpg

One of two crossbow bolt tips from the 1400s. They are soaking in distilled water to loosen the rust, I’ll conserve them and put them in the museum in a month or so.
4Jul11BowTip1.jpg

The other bolt tip. I have several different bolt tips now and wonder if they are from different battles or just different blacksmiths?
4Jul11BowTip2.jpg

Obverse of a tiny silver coin. Not sure what it is and hope to get some forum help.
4Jul11CoinO.jpg

Obverse of coin, different angle.
4Jul11CoinO2.jpg

Reverse of the coin, has a thick patina however, I can’t seem to make out any details and think it is a unifaced coin.
4Jul11CoinR.jpg

My cockerel valve taps from the 1500s displayed in the museum. The maker’s marks are clear and they are traced to the blacksmith’s that made them. These are from Nuremberg.
2Jul11ZapfHahn.jpg

This is where the town of LangenBreucke (Long Bridge) once stood. Dates to the late 1200s and before. It was eradicated during WWII to expand the military training area. I actually know two people that were born there. This Ghost Town is just a few minutes from my office so I have been doing lunch hunts here. It was sad to realize the area has been completely scraped, just a few ruins remain and unfortunately, thousands of brass ammo casings everywhere. Here’s a good info link of the town, in German but lots of pictures, you will be surprised.
http://www.weber-rudolf.de/langenbruck
18Jun11LBField.jpg

One of the ruins, I believe this was the church.
18Jun11LBRuin.jpg

An old well.
18Jun11LBWell.jpg

A pile of trash and prevalent finds, LOL. I tried to clean out an area between two ruins on the southerly side and dug everything hoping to get to the deeper relics however, the relics aren’t there.
18Jun11LBTrash.jpg

The only keepers so far. Not sure what the upper left is, a pewter button and a piece of furniture décor. Bottom are three pieces of stone. It looks glassy, feels waxy, is green in color. Jade crossed my mind but I really have no idea. HH, Mike
18Jun11LBFinds.jpg

Upvote 0

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and hunting area. I would hate to walk around and find that well as I fell into it. Hard to see with the tall grass.

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vegas, it's an M16, 5.56mm round magazine clip. HH, Mike

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome place for detecting! I really like those bolt tips!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forget the name, but the iron spike looks like an anti-horse weapon, planted one end with spike out, of course used with many others as defence.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
It's always a pleasure to read your posts. Very informative and the pictures are great. :hello2:
Congrats on the ancient relics. :thumbsup:
As far as, "My cockerel valve taps", you may want to go to the doctor to have that checked. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Thanks for the post,
Doug

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright:

Impressive, sir.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
I forget the name, but the iron spike looks like an anti-horse weapon, planted one end with spike out, of course used with many others as defence.
:read2:

I think you mean a caltrop mate :P don't know if that's what it is :dontknow: looks kinda large :icon_scratch:... :icon_scratch: Super finds Mike :notworthy:

SS

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the spear and the coin .... Congratulations Mike! :thumbsup:
H

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike you are doing awesome work there. :icon_thumright:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing Mike Want to swap a gold mine for a castle ? :) :) :)

tinpan

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Magazines for an m16.
30 round mag. Still in use today.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
:read2:

I think you mean a caltrop mate :P don't know if that's what it is :dontknow: looks kinda large :icon_scratch:... :icon_scratch: Super finds Mike :notworthy:

SS

yeah, I think its a variation on a Caltrop (which as you know has 3 points) often deployed by throwing (Mike's would be laid out more regular), I remember seeing something similar to Mike's but can't think where :icon_scratch:

(I'm not sure enough from the photo or memory & it could easily be something completely different)

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, and super hunting area. I was stationed at Baumholder before I knew about metal detectors. Darn!!!
Looking forward to some more nice finds. And, IT SURPRISES ME that the Germans are letting you hunt near one of their
castles.....but, you mentioned a museum. Is the museum in your home, or do you have a display at a local museum?
In the city I live in, there is no museum.....except for the back room of my home. I have often thought about contacting
someone with a bit more funds available than I, and asking for some help to begin one. :thumbsup:

jeepcj5

Jan 12, 2011
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
Etrac, xterra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and photos/descriptions as well Mike!!! Thank you buddy, yup m-16, M-203- M-4 30 round mag... carried many of these in my time over there, used to pack 14 of em on my load out!!!

DeadHeadDigger, OHHHRAHHH buddy Rangers lead the way!!!!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and post Mike. Looks like a spear tip ??? The coin.........no idea but hope it's old. Enjoy reading your post as always. Ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread