Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if you can get involved with a Hunters For Hunger/Hunters Against Hunger group. Your accountant can use all you kill and donate on your taxes and the processing plant/butcher gets deductions too. Save all your clothing, equipment, gas and whatever else you use receipts. Oh and mileage for everything involved.

You can also get credits for delivering them to folks in need of more meat and it keeps the herds down and less chance of disease.

Do you have a big Wild Hog population where you are? Same thing works for them too.

Some folks like to hunt but can't eat a full deer a year and some families can eat a deer or two a year but can't hunt. It's a win win.

A guy I know has two kids and a wife...every year Each of them (4) get 10 deer tags total apiece. They figure that into their food budget every year. They trot line and hunt everything you can think of. They cut wood all year. All figured into their yearly budget. He showed me once what they spend on heat and food...It was a quarter of a two family household per year. They don't have to do that, but he said it keeps the family close and allows for more savings and extras.

When HFH got going good...It was phenomenal how many folks that helped and hunters didn't feel like they were killing a deer that would go to waste.

Kace

The hogs are pushing in here. I didn't know about all those programs :)
There are still families who rely on deer and such for meat around here. I think it is great.
I have to look into this stuff. Great information to have!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My dad knew a guy wbo ate possum all the time. Loved it. Then one day he spotted a bloated dead cow in a field. He went to investigate and found about twenty possums eating away in the cow's stomach. Never ate them again. We had hillbilly cousin. One day him and his family drop by and bring a ground hog in one of those big turkey pans. Cooked black. Left it for us fortunately rather than stay and eat it with us.
None of us were brave enough to try it. Looked like a huge blob of charred meat and lard.
What kind of hounds you have. I had most kinds. About to convince myself to get another red tick.
Never hunted for hides. One night a coin jumped out of a tree and ran up my leg with the hounds after him. He decided I wasn't tall enough just as the hounds swarmed me :)

I had beagles for many years. Ran bunnies.
One was a "meat dog" and would run what I put him on.
Possum,cat, skunk on his own. Squeezed em behind the shoulders and could still sleep in the house because he didn't tromp through the stink. Unlike myself , once...

Had a harrier beagle cross with a nice saddle (a Northern clime desire) and good leg on him.

More recently ,terriers. A near decade of breeding for a rare breed , with national recognition of confirmation through U.K.C. before ending the program.
Ya, U.K.C. recognition means little in the woods...and I've not hunted with my partners well recognized dogs. My luck a pack of coyotes would find us and these dogs would take on Hades with a water pistol. But it (U.K.C. accolades)mattered to the breed.

12-14 pounds was the goal for weight. 16-18 was more often adult weights with variations either way.
Body longer than height. A fiest/chainsaw/teddy bear type combo. l.o.l..

Had me a squirrel dog out of foundation stock that was quite the dog.
Parting with pups was like selling children so few litters were produced and judicious screening of potential owners was the norm.
Other breeders factored , and generations have proven our success.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd Job is right. Dog is MUCH Better delicious actually. I found Cat rather stringy and tasteless. Tasted a lot like spotted Owl

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a hungry looking guy chasing a very scared dog with a knife in the Philippines one time. I would not eat a cat knowingly.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a hungry looking guy chasing a very scared dog with a knife in the Philippines one time. I would not eat a cat knowingly.
If you have ever spent anytime in Vietnam you have eaten both! Known it or not

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd Job is right. Dog is MUCH Better delicious actually. I found Cat rather stringy and tasteless. Tasted a lot like spotted Owl

Spotted owls listed as near threatened. So apparently still can be consumed. Bet they taste like chicken;)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a California Joke. Save the spotted Owl was such a large campaign by the liberal tree huggers protecting the forests here from loggers that there isn't a single person in california that doesn't think they are near extinct Might as well be a Bald Eagle. So when you are out on opening day cleaning a pile of doves you will ALWAYS get some onlooking non hunter asking you what they taste like. The answer is always "kinda like Spotted Owl" Watching the the realization of the statement then the horrified looks on there faces is where the hilarity ensues :)

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had beagles for many years. Ran bunnies.
One was a "meat dog" and would run what I put him on.
Possum,cat, skunk on his own. Squeezed em behind the shoulders and could still sleep in the house because he didn't tromp through the stink. Unlike myself , once...

Had a harrier beagle cross with a nice saddle (a Northern clime desire) and good leg on him.

More recently ,terriers. A near decade of breeding for a rare breed , with national recognition of confirmation through U.K.C. before ending the program.
Ya, U.K.C. recognition means little in the woods...and I've not hunted with my partners well recognized dogs. My luck a pack of coyotes would find us and these dogs would take on Hades with a water pistol. But it (U.K.C. accolades)mattered to the breed.

12-14 pounds was the goal for weight. 16-18 was more often adult weights with variations either way.
Body longer than height. A fiest/chainsaw/teddy bear type combo. l.o.l..

Had me a squirrel dog out of foundation stock that was quite the dog.
Parting with pups was like selling children so few litters were produced and judicious screening of potential owners was the norm.
Other breeders factored , and generations have proven our success.

We had a couple of beagles which chase rabbits around and around the pasture.
Knew a guy who had a blue tick that would eat skunks.
Didn't mind the smell at all.
My cousin had some good black and tan squirrel dogs long ago.
I can't think of anyone who has hounds around here anymore. May be still some off in the deep hollows.
Most terriers seem like chainsaws :)

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a California Joke. Save the spotted Owl was such a large campaign by the liberal tree huggers protecting the forests here from loggers that there isn't a single person in california that doesn't think they are near extinct Might as well be a Bald Eagle. So when you are out on opening day cleaning a pile of doves you will ALWAYS get some onlooking non hunter asking you what they taste like. The answer is always "kinda like Spotted Owl" Watching the the realization of the statement then the horrified looks on there faces is where the hilarity ensues :)

I assumed you were joking lol. Be funny to have a handful of fake eagle feathers to show them.
I'm for conservation but some of those types need lives.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some kitty facts:
In Guangdong and Guangxi provinces in south-eastern China, some–especially older–people consider cat flesh a good warming food during winter months. However, in northern China eating cat is considered unacceptable

In Guangdong, cat meat is a main ingredient in the traditional dish "dragon, tiger, phoenix" (snake, cat, chicken), which is said to fortify the body

With the increase of cats as pets in China, opposition towards the traditional use of cats for food has grown. In June 2006, approximately 40 activists stormed the Fangji Cat Meatball Restaurant in Shenzhen, forcing it to shut down.

In the Animist Narikurava community in India; it has been reported that cat meat has been served on the occasion of the birth of a male child.

Nice to see China is getting away from that.:cat::cat::cat:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
In Guangdong and Guangxi provinces in south-eastern China, some–especially older–people consider cat flesh a good warming food during winter months. However, in northern China eating cat is considered unacceptable.
=========
As in United States it is unacceptable.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Survival has a lot to do with where you live, and what kind of
skills you have.

My property is on a large river that gets 4-5 runs of salmon a year,
there's wildlife everywhere. Even if snowed in and no power, I could
still get to the river for water and dinner.

My Mrs. grew up on a farm in Illinois, and we have a full sized freezer
and two fridge-freezers. We'd probably be good for at least three months
just with what is here.

I discussed the idea of having cat or dog for dinner with my buddy Scruff,
and he was rather adamant that dogs would definitely taste better than
cats. Asked him what should I do if I can't find a dog? catitude1small.jpg

My neighbors cat sauntered over, and I asked her what she thought
about it all...

gallery_5862_542_39763 (2).jpg

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>:(
not sure how I'm feeling bout this.... :laughing7:

mf's should buy a can of spray paint & learn to mark roadkill,
if they that desperate..... j/s...

That reminds me of the especially delicious Himalayan Possum stew Because we found Himalayan in the road

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>:(
not sure how I'm feeling bout this.... :laughing7:

mf's should buy a can of spray paint & learn to mark roadkill,
if they that desperate..... j/s...

I hope no one eats their cat :p My brother's cats love me cause I give them pieces of meat as opposed to their usual canned stuff. Well, love might be too strong. a word.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would you spray paint road kill? I have picked up road kill to eat, sure as heck would not go putting paint on my food.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think cats are better served as a condiment. Cat soup and Fries go great together!:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread