Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things have been pretty hectic lately and I haven't had much time to post or reply on the forums. Here are my finds from DIV XIII and two recent 2 hour hunts.

I didn't find as much as I hoped to at DIV, and definitely no "splash" relics like a plate or CS button, but I got a few interesting little relics that will be nice additions to my Civil War collection. First is a nice bullet worm in perfect condition for a fragile iron relic. The canteen stopper is also very nice. You don't see them with the brass cork holder intact very often. I also like the colt revolver gun tool (the "L" shaped piece), and the lead cartridge box finial. The Confederates used lead for these finials and the Union used brass.

Last Friday I got out for a couple hours at an old house site I have hit pretty hard. Conditions were perfect with the grass low and smooth. I coaxed out a well worn Draped Bust LC, an 1893 IH, and a neat sterling silver Art Nouveau pin.

Yesterday after work, I got out for a couple hours with Birdman to the site I directed him to where he ended up digging the 1874 model sword belt plate on Monday. I ended up with 5 buttons, 4 of them with a PTS mongram on them, and a brass tag that also has PTS stamped on it. I suspect these are from a trolley system, but I have not been able to find a match on the internet. I have determined that the backmark on one button, "M. C. Lilley & Co. Columbus, O" is pre 1925, the other buttons are backmarked "The Lilley Co Columbus, O" and these are post 1925. Any help identifying these buttons would be appreciated.

NOTE - the first picture should be the last picture ....Grrrr

Attachments

• DIV All.jpg
    DIV All.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Worm 2.jpg
    Worm 2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Finials.jpg
    Finials.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 3-29-13 002.jpg
    3-29-13 002.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 4-2-13 002.jpg
    4-2-13 002.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 4-2-13 004.jpg
    4-2-13 004.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 4-2-13 003.jpg
    4-2-13 003.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Upvote 4

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice variety there Steve:headbang:

That bullet worm is a cool find never seen one:icon_scratch:
Please explain how these worked..

Good to see you get out there:thumbsup:

Blaze

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety there Steve:headbang:

That bullet worm is a cool find never seen one:icon_scratch:
Please explain how these worked..
Good to see you get out there:thumbsup:

Blaze

JB, the bullet worm was used to pull an unfired round out of the barrel of the gun. The type I found was screwed onto the ramrod and then screwed onto the bullet. The prongs would grip the bullet and it could be pulled out of the gun. There was another version that screwed right into the top of the bullet. Lots of "pulled" bullets are found in CW camps - some with the spiral scratch marks made by a worm like mine, others with the hole in the nose of the bullet from the other style worm.

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice array of finds from several decades of history Steve. I have never found the worm /bullet combo together. WTG, Q.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
JB, the bullet worm was used to pull an unfired round out of the barrel of the gun. The type I found was screwed onto the ramrod and then screwed onto the bullet. The prongs would grip the bullet and it could be pulled out of the gun. There was another version that screwed right into the top of the bullet. Lots of "pulled" bullets are found in CW camps - some with the spiral scratch marks made by a worm like mine, others with the hole in the nose of the bullet from the other style worm.

I would have thought that was for a cleaning patch?!?

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relics!!!!!

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat stuff. The silver pin is sweet. Glad your getting out...

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I missed you and everyone else at DIV. At least you dug a few nice items. Isn't that a colonial piece in the upper left of your pic?

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I missed you and everyone else at DIV. At least you dug a few nice items. Isn't that a colonial piece in the upper left of your pic?

Bill, that is a mid-19th century finial. Typically used on brass beds. I seem to find a lot of them at 1820s-1850s house sites. Here are a few that I kept.

Attachments

• Finials.jpg
    Finials.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 83

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job.awesome finds.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice finds Steve. I like the bullet worm, its in great shape. Good seeing you again. I hope to see you in the fall.
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread