Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know the saying one man's trash is another man's treasure. Well I live in a neighborhood called Haufler Estates. The Haufler Brothers owned hundreds of acres in this area from way back. They raised cattle here. Eventually selling off most of the land for neighborhoods like mine and commercial development and even a small college nearby. There is one strip of woods left that is about to be developed and I was going out to do some searching on it. I happen to do work for the grandson of one of the brothers and once I told him I was going to detect out there he said to look for old cattle tags. He sent a picture of two and told me he would pay me good money if I found any because they meant a lot to him. "Another man's treasure ". I get into the woods and turn on my detector. Balanced it and start swinging. About the fifth swing I get a loud 28-29. Sounds like squished can. Then this pops out. Ole #147. Says Haufler Brothers on it. Couldn't believe that luck. I'm thinking well this is easy I'll find a dozen more but that was it. He was so surprised I found one. I'll give him this one. I usually spend most hunts searching for coins but this was pretty cool. The pic of the two are the ones he has.

Attachments

• 20210210_183242.jpg
    20210210_183242.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210210_160719.jpg
    20210210_160719.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • 20210210_182216.jpg
    20210210_182216.jpg
    989.1 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 21

Brian93436

Jan 26, 2008
Lompoc
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gesture

You know the saying one man's trash is another man's treasure. Well I live in a neighborhood called Haufler Estates. The Haufler Brothers owned hundreds of acres in this area from way back. They raised cattle here. Eventually selling off most of the land for neighborhoods like mine and commercial development and even a small college nearby. There is one strip of woods left that is about to be developed and I was going out to do some searching on it. I happen to do work for the grandson of one of the brothers and once I told him I was going to detect out there he said to look for old cattle tags. He sent a picture of two and told me he would pay me good money if I found any because they meant a lot to him. "Another man's treasure ". I get into the woods and turn on my detector. Balanced it and start swinging. About the fifth swing I get a loud 28-29. Sounds like squished can. Then this pops out. Ole #147. Says Haufler Brothers on it. Couldn't believe that luck. I'm thinking well this is easy I'll find a dozen more but that was it. He was so surprised I found one. I'll give him this one. I usually spend most hunts searching for coins but this was pretty cool. The pic of the two are the ones he has.

Cool find, and very cool to give it back to him!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find!! I have an antique Fairbanks Morse engine(1919) that came from the Gainesville area. The guy I got it from found it buried while building a house on farm land where an old barn was destroyed by a storm many years before.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like 147 was an old cow or the tag had been used on others. It wore through. That would take a while. Gary

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the cool cow tag! Thanks for sharing.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really neat! I lived out by Paynes Prairie for a couple of years, but never got a chance to hunt much around the Gainesville area.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sylvia40

Nov 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting story. Any idea how old that tag might be?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread