Caught a Sailfish while dirt fishing ( with photo to prove it )

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Today while hunting an old lot, I dug up a sailfish pin. A fellow who had torn down and removed the house on the lot stopped by and informed me thay he had previously found: six 1840 thru 1856 silver dollars and an 1801 penny on the surface after the home was destroyed. He also said that "with your coin finder you should find some good stuff." Other than the pin, I found 3 modern coins. Needless to say - I will be back with the big deeper running coil ( 9 x 12) --was using a sniper coil on my ace 250 today (to help cut thru trash --but i might have go to dig it all now)--photo about 3 x actual size of item to show detail

Attachments

• Sailfish Pin001.jpg
    Sailfish Pin001.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,121
Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
talk about a light lunch there aint enough there to cover a cracker Ivan lol . Cool pic sounds like you have hit a sweet spot to hunt . :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
its a lil one --but still a keeper :wink: ;D -- i think i'm going to like this spot--- a lot :laughing7:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you getting out hunting and posting !! :icon_thumleft: I like the fish, get back there and find some more !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
It put up a good fight did it? Nice find, also, if that guy found those silver dollars lying around AFTER a demolition, it wouldn't suprise me if perhaps it was part of a buried cache! Deffinately go back and look for the rest of it! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yep the old home was dirt old -- and had a old type screened in back porch area --where back in the pre electric days (no fans or air conditioners in the mid to late 1800's early 1900's ) folks would set in the evening on the screened in porch to try and catch the evening breeezes to get some relief from the heat --rumor has it that this spot was a old gambling joint way back * the fellow who tore down the house told me that the screened in "back porch" floor had cracks in it and thats he thinks its most likely where the surface find coins he found likely came from-- they were some of the coins in the "cracks"--however if there are coins in the cracks that old --what about the ones that "fell thru"?-- they should be in the dirt below where the screened porch area was == most likely having just settled in a bit :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
i never said it was a BIG sailfish now did I ? :D

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ivan salis said:
yep the old home was dirt old -- and has a old type screened in back porch area --where back in the pre electric days (no fans or air conditioners in the mid to late 1800's early 1900's ) folks would set in the evening on the screened in porch to try and catch the evening breeezes to get some relief from the heat --rumor has it that this spot was a old gambling joint way back * the fellow who tore down the house told me that the screened in "back porch" floor had cracks in it and thats he thinks its most likely where the surface find coins he found likely came from-- they were some of the coins in the "cracks"--however if there are coins in the cracks that old --what about the ones that "fell thru"?-- they should be in the dirt below where the screened porch area was == most likely having just settled in a bit :thumbsup:
Sounds like you're next hunt is going to be an exciting one at this homestead. Let us know what you find . . . sounds like you're about to hit pay-dirt, so to speak. Best of luck Ivan! :icon_thumright:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol too funny this thread Ivan, but on the lighter side, I hope you find alot of goodies there..

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find....Matt

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat fish!!!! maybe he was putting u on? u saw the coins he found? MR TUFF

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
honestly I don't think the man was putting me on in the least --he seemed very for real -- plus the area has long been inhabited there and was near a local civil war union headquarters area --(1/2 block away)--one of the main reasons i was hunting it * --when the union troops came and took over I'm quite sure the union officers would stay in the homes around the headquarters area no doubt ---plus items from the CW era time frame are not uncommon in the general area :thumbsup:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man i would be all over that place ;D just like ur about to do!!! can not wait to see the finds that are on the way!!!! MR TUFF

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
better start digging ;D

Top Member Reactions