• z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 2,399

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
There is a lot written about ole Ben Sublett. He even has a historical marker dedicated to him.

phxmark123

Apr 9, 2005
Sherman Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I was reading a little and doing a little researching on Ben Subletts gold and found out that the Guadalupe Mountians is in a National Park. There you go again, a case of the "Man" keeping us down. Cant metal detect in a National park

S

sailrunner

Picking up gold nuggets doesn't sound like metal detecting to me?... ???

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sailrunner said:

Actually if I'm not mistaken, you cannot pick anything up in a National Park.
one of our members once got find for picking up a plain old stone
in a National Park.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Great post Jeff, Read about this in Texas Tales of Lost Mines and Buried Treasure, whered you get the article?

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
Ole' Ben supposedly was telling his son in law the location of his mine on his death bed but figured that he would only let others beat him out of it so he took the location to his grave. Some speculate that it might also be in New Mexico but I guess that's why its lost.

alexfm

Greenie
Dec 16, 2007
boattow said:
Has anyone ever actually seen a silver mine, much less a gold mine, in Texas???

There are a few scattered gold and silver mines but there are loads of tin mines in the Franklin Mountains, if you just hike up some of the access roads, you can see the mine openings and the tin cans miners used to carry the ore or to light fires in to see in the mines.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Actually you can pan for gold in the llano river (among others I have heard) and there are many silver mines in the area, I dont know if any are still in production or not, Also havent you ever heard of the lost bowie mine belived to be in sansaba county. Texas dosent have as much like whats been found in other parts of the US (yet) but there is some here.

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
jeff of pa said:
sailrunner said:

Actually if I'm not mistaken, you cannot pick anything up in a National Park.
one of our members once got find for picking up a plain old stone
in a National Park.

Same goes for other countries. I found myself behind bars for a day when i was a younger man due to a slight cultural mishap. Thank you american consulant for gettin me out of that one.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
In fact many cities and towns in Texas had working gold mines in them back in the 1800's. Most you've probably never heard of, or were unaware of because they produced so very little gold. Nothing like the historic and famed mines in Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. For instance both Austin and Big Spring had mines at one time, and the creeks were panned there. Brushy Creek near Austin and the WildHorse near Big Spring. Historical maps in libraries often show old mine locations and all topographical maps show former mine locations whether they've been closed or even filled in.

Do a little research and you might be surprised by some treasure stories found in your own area. An excellent source of such information are older people in their 70's and 80's. Memory can be a quirky thing sometimes, especially for the elderly. Maybe your grandfather can't tell you where his eyeglasses are, but if you asked him, he might be able to tell you where alot of things were when he was just a kid.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out www.iowagold.com scroll down the page ,and on the left hand side is a where to find gold in your state,pick Texas and start reading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread