Cay Sal Bank, Bahamas

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I've always had the theory that early Spanish Galleons would easily run into the Cay Sal Bank when trying to navigate theStraits of Florida. It gets extremely shallow very quickly and sits right in the way of northbound traffic from Havana and Mexico. Although some ships took the south eastern route below the Bahamas, did they all? Did the Spanish during the early 1500's know about the Cay Sal bank to the north before losing ships on it due to storms? It seems reasonable to me that they didn't, and even after they did, there wasn't much they could do to keep those old fat ships off during a storm. I've heard stories of divers accidentally coming across old cannon piles and anchors and not being able to refind them. One story was that several bronze cannon were found in extremely shallow water on the southern end near Cuba. Since it was only 30 miles from Cuba, apparently the Cubans patrol that area and the divers were chased off. They either couldn't return or couldn't relocate the cannons. Anyone out there have anything to add?

Aquanut

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
I have been diving in Cay Sal and every dive I made on the outer banks I found wreck material. Ballast, a small caronade, rigging and anchors. Although most of the stuff was 19th century and carried no treasure, there was enough 17th and 18th century artifacts to spark a return in the future. Supposedly the Bahamian government is going to lift their ban on treasure hunting and archaeology in the next year or two and start issuing permits again. I only dove the northeastern and western side of the banks. The south and easten sides should have the highest possibility of interesting sites.
Splash,
Don Kincaid

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Thanks Donovan. Espescially glad to hear that the ban will be lifted! We'll talk some after the weekend when I get back. Got Honeydo's to do...

Aquanut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread