CCC Camps

OP
OP
lawdog601

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
lawdog601 said:
I'm curious if anyone else has hunted any CCC camps. Here in MS, most of them are on state or federal property, although I've learned of several still that are on private land. Worth searching? Potential finds?...other than the obvious. What's some things you've found in the camps?

Bringing this up again. Any info on the subject matter is greatly appreciated.

J.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have hunted a couple of ccc camps. The problem in my area is that the members planted pine trees. The needles over the years have left quite a thick carpet for my detector to try and penetrate. I have had luck detecting the old dirt roads leading into the camp. Old bottles are to be found, but they are not really that old 30's and 40's My favorite find was part of an old still. I removed several yards of copper tubing from the carpet of pine needles....Steve

OP
OP
lawdog601

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
Awesome Steve! I've since decided to try my luck at a few camps. Also have located some abandoned airfields where Dutch pilots trained in rural MS during WW II. Gonna see what interesting finds may come outta those as well. Thanks for the info.!

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Now an old airfield would be a great spot to hunt. The old conservation corps sites, though, don't really sound too promising. You have to keep in mind that these camps were designed for people who found themselves broke and unemployed after the stock market crash in 1929. They were paid $30 per month and were required to send $25 of it home.

So these workers were probably very careful with their possessions. Leaving very few artifacts behind. Sure, you might be able to find some old forgotten tent poles. Maybe a shovel head or two. But to me, personally, I wouldn't be too excited to search these sites.

OP
OP
lawdog601

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
allen_idaho said:
Now an old airfield would be a great spot to hunt. The old conservation corps sites, though, don't really sound too promising. You have to keep in mind that these camps were designed for people who found themselves broke and unemployed after the stock market crash in 1929. They were paid $30 per month and were required to send $25 of it home.

So these workers were probably very careful with their possessions. Leaving very few artifacts behind. Sure, you might be able to find some old forgotten tent poles. Maybe a shovel head or two. But to me, personally, I wouldn't be too excited to search these sites.

I guess I look at the camps and what might be found in them from a historical perspective. True, there was limited possessions, or rather not many things of monetary value at the time. But, my thought was possibly finding that lost pocket knife, I.D. tag, camp kitchen tools, etc. I guess I'm more of an untrained archaeologist than anything. I seem to like ancient and old trash. Lol!

The airfields may turn up anything from foreign coins to airplane parts. Who knows? But I'm sure gonna try to find out what may be under the dirt.

OP
OP
lawdog601

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
Connecticut Sam said:
Seeking information on CCC camps in Connecticut.

[email protected]

Check with your state's Archive and History agency. They'll usually have a great deal of helpful information. At least, in my state they do.

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have numerous areas here that have CCC work sites. My late grandfather worked in several of these camps all over the states of Alabama and Mississippi. You do have some good sites to hunt there even if they were mostly poorer men working them. They were all rewarded tokens and various other items upon completing the various buildings/structures they built. And yep some I've seen of my late gramps are 100% silver.

OP
OP
lawdog601

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
bman3725 said:
We have numerous areas here that have CCC work sites. My late grandfather worked in several of these camps all over the states of Alabama and Mississippi. You do have some good sites to hunt there even if they were mostly poorer men working them. They were all rewarded tokens and various other items upon completing the various buildings/structures they built. And yep some I've seen of my late gramps are 100% silver.

Never thought of tokens being silver. That's interesting!

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading and commenting I have been hunting an old CCC spot it jumped my interest. I so far have found some good nickels, dimes, etc etc. All the years of people visiting I guess but im looking for something older on this site something around the time it was built or before. I will keep posting my finds. I've got a nice bunch of change and 2 rings the other day. Had some silver some part little gold from the rings not a bad day. What exactly are you searching though? The building grounds or where the CCC workers camped? Two different finds that way. Mostly pieces of old tools or buckle a buckle or two but still I like hunting that stuff too.

OP
OP
lawdog601

lawdog601

Jul 14, 2012
After reading and commenting I have been hunting an old CCC spot it jumped my interest. I so far have found some good nickels, dimes, etc etc. All the years of people visiting I guess but im looking for something older on this site something around the time it was built or before. I will keep posting my finds. I've got a nice bunch of change and 2 rings the other day. Had some silver some part little gold from the rings not a bad day. What exactly are you searching though? The building grounds or where the CCC workers camped? Two different finds that way. Mostly pieces of old tools or buckle a buckle or two but still I like hunting that stuff too.

I'm hunting any and all. I've had about the same type of finds...minus rings. Did find alot of misc. stuff that I'm still identifying... Great finds for you! Keep hunting and let me know what else you find.

Nov 9, 2012
MS Delta
Detector(s) used
RS Discover 1000(for now)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know of any sites here in the delta? Looking for a new place to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions