Celeste Jones

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hi Bill,

I see no one has answered your question, so thought I would post one. As far as I know, no one has done much research on Celeste Jones, or at least I have never run across any mention of such research.

She is one of the Dutch-hunters that has been quite a puzzle (to me anyway) - for she was apparently convinced there was treasure IN Weaver's Needle. Her "antics" led to bloodshed and death, but you have posed an excellent question - why on earth did she decide there was treasure THERE, of all places? Did she get possession of a map, or waybill, or hear some clue that led her to conclude Weaver's Needle is the spot?

Good luck and good hunting to you, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.

Oroblanco

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Roy,

I can tell you a little about that.

That is the reason Ed Piper had his camp at the base of Weaver's Needle. He too believed there was a treasure hidden IN it.

There is a legend (I can't recall all the specifics of where I read it, or the details of the legend), that says there is either a mine or treasure cache at or near the top. Ed Piper (or his guys) supposedly had found very old lengths of rope and mining tools near the top of the Needle. His hunting area was one of the main reasons for his conflicts with Celeste Jones (they both believed in a Jesuit Treasure hidden in the Needle), that led to Ed Piper shooting and killing Robert Ste. Marie (one of Celeste Jones' Compadres). Oh, Ed Piper was the first one there, and he had active claims, while Celeste Jones believed in her Divine Inspiration, and right of possession. A few more shootings later, Ed Piper died of cancer in 1962, and Celeste Jones left the are about a year later. Nobody knows where she came from (most think Los Angeles), and nobody knows where she went to when she left Arizona.

Best,

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread