Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

A couple weeks ago I thought the digging year was over, but it seems the treasure gods had one last blessing in store for me before the end of 2018. We had some sporadic weather with a few warm days, and though I was resolved to hang up the shovel until spring, my thumbs started twiddling and before you know it, I was out the door!

I decided to do a more thorough investigation of one of my earliest permissions, a place where I've found an 1845 seated half dime, a blacksmith token from around 1830, and my first holed coin, an 1859 Canadian penny, among many other amazing finds. After the success I had at the "Merchant" site, where I learned to focus more on the culture and not neglect certain signals, I decided to employ a similar "dig it all" approach to this site - and hey, it's the end of the year, so I'd take a rusty nail over nothing at all!

I got to swinging and got some very neat finds. I can't believe how many axe heads I've found recently! Here I found two more. I also found an iron leg of some sort, a change purse's brass clasps that still function perfectly, and a very pretty little stamped tin four leaf clover thing, not sure what it came off of. Near the end of day one, I was pleased with my detecting finds and comfortable with the idea of a long winter ahead. But I had about half an hour of daylight left, and so I decided to move some of the rocks out of the filled-in cellar hole that I had looked over in the past. Lots of rocks, lots of metal, lots of wire - cellar holes are always daunting, to say the least. But I was curious, I just wanted to hit the bottom. On the way down I found some great shards, and so I decided to return the next day.

I didn't even bring my metal detector on day two. After seeing some of those shards, I had other things on my mind. I started along the one wall and my first whole find was a beautiful light amethyst Perfect Seal pint. Wow, there's stuff that survived underneath all these rocks! At this point I'm already satisfied, but the curiosity is still there. Very soon I found an old heartbreaker, the fourth or fifth Warner's Safe Cure that has gotten away from me. After finding a big quart Vernor's ginger ale, I get near the far wall and uncover an absolute ZOMBIE. Just look at the stringy applied bead finish on this thing! This one's got a crude pushed up smooth base and I'm sure it must date into the 1860s. So now I'm shaking with excitement. Do I pack up and go home? No way. I take a deep breath and collect myself (you break stuff when you get too excited), and continue along that far wall. From here on everything just steamrolled ahead, not a dull moment. BAM, I get my first ever whole bottle embossed with the word "bitters", a Burdock Blood Bitters from Toronto. Applied finish, 1870s. I also got two Eclectric Oils, one strawed out beyond compare, striped like a tiger. Then I decide to turn around into the corner that I made my approach from, and I run into yet another Perfect Seal variant, a slight amethyst round quart. Then when I get right into that dark corner, I see the heel of a nice blue one tucked in along the wall. It's another oldie! An Emulsion of Cod Liver Oil from Toronto, 1870s but possibly breaking into the 1860s, sloppiest top I've dug in a while. Things are heating up! Next I'd get a couple slicks, one of which was a nice old blue early perfume or something, one of my favourite finds from this dig, the second zombie, 'looks like it was carried around for ages. The next thing I dug was a Coca Cola piece, did not expect that at all. I don't collect this sort of thing, but how could I not be dancing? Anyway, the sun was going down, I had a long way home, but I held out for just one more. It was a beautiful Crown pint, a colour very similar to one that I accidentally smashed this summer. I felt that I had been forgiven already, but now I knew for sure...

I went into day three without any expectations. I had already had my fill, this was already one of my most memorable digs. But I got right back to work along the one wall, scooping things out from deep under the mass of rocks piling down into the cellar. I started with an olive green three-piece mould whiskey and a slick med. Then I decided to try and lift the bunch of tangled wire in the middle, and I removed my shovel head and used the shaft to prop it all up so that I could get underneath. Oh man, I see another square-based jar! 'Must be another Perfect Seal. But it's not just any Perfect Seal, it's the earliest variant, the one with the vines! YES. This was a bucketlister for me, this is one of my favourite jars ever, it's absolutely beautiful with those lovely vines running down the sides. So this was my third unique Perfect Seal variant within the last two weeks! I will make sure to do a thread about the Perfect Seals and Crowns I've dug this year. Bass had called me "Jar King" earlier this fall, and he must have been on to something, because for whatever reason the nice jars just keep coming up for me. Anyway, to me this jar was the "perfect seal" to the year, I love this jar. So yeah, I was bouncing back and forth between the rock wall cave and the wire, and under the rocks I saw the head of another early one, and wiggled out a second Emulsion of Cod Liver Oil. Early and awesome. Then I went back under the wire, and got some interesting variety. A nice monogrammed perfume, a biiig unfired bullet (hmmm), and my third decoy egg (these eggs are placed in a chosen area to coax chickens to lay there). Closer to the top of the rock cave I pulled a broken Orange Crush, and then a whole one. I also found a clay pipe bowl embossed with flags, "1914", and a ship, a "British Cruiser".

On day four, the last day, truly the last dig of the year, I pulled three embossed milks, all from the upper layers of the rock cave/pile. By now everything was getting tighter, more rocky, and harder to dig. This is where the journey ends.

I've included another MS Paint drawing of my dig for a visual! I didn't include all of the wire, broken glass, and all of that, because it looked too distracting. There are many other finds here that I have not included in the story and did not take pictures of, either because they weren't as significant, or because I was getting downright tired of pulling my camera out every five seconds, haha. Like I said, things just steamrolled along, and with limited daylight, I didn't have time to take pictures of every single thing. And I will note that all of the other metal finds from after day one were found within the cellar hole. Anyone know what the brass rings are? I think they might be for guiding an eavestrough/gutter.

Thank you for coming along! I'm glad that I could have one more good dig before the year was over, and it was a banger for sure. All I can say is that when you see a cellar hole filled to the brim with rocks and wire and hell, if you don't gather the courage to tackle it, you might just be missing out big time!

Good luck and happy hunting everyone, and Happy New Year!

NJ

DSCF7803.JPG DSCF7811.JPG DSCF7807.JPG DSCF7800.JPG DSCF7812.JPG DSCF7821.JPG DSCF7824.JPG DSCF7827.JPG DSCF7830.JPG DSCF7831.JPG DSCF7837.JPG DSCF7841.JPG DSCF7849.JPG DSCF7852.JPG DSCF7856.JPG DSCF7859.JPG DSCF7863.JPG DSCF7868.jpg DSCF7871.JPG DSCF7884.JPG DSCF7879.JPG DSCF7886.JPG DSCF7893.JPG DSCF7896.JPG DSCF7901.JPG DSCF7904.JPG DSCF7909.JPG DSCF7915.JPG DSCF7927.JPG DSCF7942.JPG DSCF7948.JPG DSCF8014.JPG DSCF8020.JPG DSCF7987.JPG DSCF7980.JPG DSCF7993.JPG DSCF7963c.jpg DSCF8043c.jpg DSCF8044.JPG cellarhole.jpg

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jar king strikes again.
One of the better digs I’ve seen this year and a great post. Don’t you just hate it when you have to pull the camera out every 5 seconds! I’m happy for you that you ended the year on a high note. I bent over to pick up a freakin pair of shoes yesterday morning and blew out my back. Can’t hardly walk. Anyway, the jar is awesome. Glad you were able to get that early variant. As for me, I like anything that says “bitters”, great find. And the cod is cool too. The Coca Cola strike plate is probably got some value to it. Great finds, great post and glad you are going out of 2018 with a bang.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice digs. Congratulations.:icon_thumright:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where to start. That Coca-Cola item is a killer piece in excellent condition. Great finds all over the place. You killed it!

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where to start The ax heads, the 4 leaf clover item all of the awesome glass . My first favorite would be the clay pipes .But I would be blown away with any of it. Thanks for taking us along on a fantastic dig

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too shabby at all! I'd go somewhere tomorrow but its going to rain...again...it it continues this pattern in a few weeks we will be up to the roofs in SNOW aka the white death.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Long range of age there, great story and dig, congrats...

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jar king strikes again.
One of the better digs I’ve seen this year and a great post. Don’t you just hate it when you have to pull the camera out every 5 seconds! I’m happy for you that you ended the year on a high note. I bent over to pick up a freakin pair of shoes yesterday morning and blew out my back. Can’t hardly walk. Anyway, the jar is awesome. Glad you were able to get that early variant. As for me, I like anything that says “bitters”, great find. And the cod is cool too. The Coca Cola strike plate is probably got some value to it. Great finds, great post and glad you are going out of 2018 with a bang.

Thanks Bass! Just don't start calling me "Milk of Magnesia Man" or "Slick 1960s Screw Top Guy" or anything like that, might be bad luck, haha. The other bitters I was finding there were smooth based and post-bottomed "Dr. Carson's Stomach Bitters", all of which were broken unfortunately...

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long range of age there, great story and dig, congrats...

Thanks Jim! The youngest stuff was from around 1955, so I think that this hole was used as a dump spot up until then. Since the oldest bottles were all along one wall (for the most part), my theory is that those weren't really 'dumped', but that they had been sitting in there for a long time. They were probably still up on a shelf or something when they decided to push everything in. Who knows!

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
Great job on sniffing out some glass at this site. You really have a knack for it. Hope the New Year is just as productive for you.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dudes, and good luck in the new year!

It's hard to imagine the next three, or even four months, without digging. But I'm just happy because, heck, the digging season could have ended so much differently. The end of the year is always the hardest. It's cold, wet, muddy, and if you're not finding anything, you often stop and ask yourself, "why do I even do this?". Things could have just tapered off like that, faded out into winter. But instead it was such an explosion, such a confirmation - "THIS is why you do this". It's like a father and son going fishing, and the difference between catching a fish or not catching a fish. Dad wants there to be a fish, not for himself, but to keep the boy interested.

My 2019 goal is a pontil, any kind will do!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, stellar bunch of digs. LOVE the pipe bowl most of all.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on this good streak you’ve been having. Hope it continues through the new year.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on this good streak you’ve been having. Hope it continues through the new year.

Thanks man! The "streak" feeling is real. 'Probably gonna be like hitting a wall the next time I get out digging, haha. If I find a ketchup, I'll let ya know...

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great spot, great story and great dig! How to end the year! Looking forward to your 2019 update haha hopefully you get some decent weather before spring! Good luck!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
And they call that trash? What the heck man. Open a mini museum right there on that spot and teach the young ones what treasure is all about! Absolutely awesome story and dig. The drawing is killer too. Now ya done ticked me off, I may have to go find me a pit. Real quick like. Wow. Congrats on all of the great finds. The Bitters is sweet. I’m kinda partial to that kinda thing you all may have noticed. The spread of the years is awesome. Pontils await. You got a nose for it that’s for sure. Keep it coming. Jgas.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crusty, and thanks jgas!

Yes, it is truly surprising what people threw out. Will the people of the future think the same thing about our plastic containers? I doubt it!

I'm so glad that a few of the oldies survived. My new theory about the small old one is that it was an oil bottle, maybe a gun oil, carried around for a long time. It has thousands of tiny scratches, but the others have virtually none. So maybe this was taken on quite a few hunts over the years, jostled around in a pocket or pouch many times. I'm not sure though, just dreaming!

There's no way I'm going to get back to this place until spring. But even though the rest of the hole is super tight and rocky, I'd be silly not to do it, considering what's come out so far. Now it's just a waiting game!

jgas, go get that pit! Dig while you still can!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing honey hole Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread