Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went metal detecting at a hiking trail today, next to a very old road from the 1700's. I was surprised when I saw what looks like a cellar hole in very poor condition. It was around 4 feet deep, next to the road but not visible from it, had medium sized stones lining half of it, the other part caved in with stones on the ground. I couldn't really check for iron inside of it because some inconsiderate litterbug filled it with tons of flattened aluminium Budweiser cans, unfortunately they were the older ones with the ring pull tabs so I had pull tabs to also deal with in the cellar hole. I found a few square nails around the cellar hole, including the end of a huge support beam one. I didn't get any coins, buttons, or buckles or any sort, just two smashed musket balls. I got less trash and iron in general than most of my other cellar holes abandoned in the 1940's. I was only there for an hour though, having stuff to do later in the day. I still managed to find a 1909 (VDB I think) wheat cent in very poor condition on the obverse (the area where the mint mark should be chipped off from corrosion). This cellar hole doesn't appear on my 1850's map, or even on my late 1700's map showing homesteads. The cellar hole certainly looks like it could be abandoned for longer than the late 1700's. My question is, is this an actual homestead site abandoned in the 1700's, or another structure such as a barn, or not even from any structure. The land behind the cellar hole is full of huge rocks that look unsuitable for farming (though I found an extremely old, probably 1700's ox shoe next to a huge rock there), until you go back a little and it is very flat in many areas. I will try and take photos of the cellar hole next time I go there.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
There are also large piles of rocks in the flat areas covered with over an inch of moss on them and extremely eroded. This may indicate a very old farm field, though most of NH was farm fields until the 1960's.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most times the home had a dug stone lined cellar,while barns had stacked stones placed at grade and above. Also barns were often 3 sided for easy access for animals. The older the site the less distinct the hole often will be. Just generalities but gives you a start. Probably the reason you didn't get nonferous targets is that it's been pounded being near a trail....but you gotta try anyway.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also being that full of trash often you have top pull out a bunch of that trash before really good signals show up.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell what it may hold if anything, but you never know until you give it a looksee. Sounds like it is or was the local stop and drink a few for someone if there are that many beer cans around. Could be something up close to the stones but weather is warming up so watch for crawlies making their way out too! Probably has been hit but how much and when depends on just how accessible it is. Good Luck!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not kill myself trying to clear all the modern trash. I would detect any clear flat spots around. Some of the best sites are the ones not marked on any maps. But lots of modern trash is not a good sign from my experience. Good luck!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not kill myself trying to clear all the modern trash. I would detect any clear flat spots around. Some of the best sites are the ones not marked on any maps. But lots of modern trash is not a good sign from my experience. Good luck!

Luckily the most trash is only inside the actual cellar hole, I assume that someone used to sit in there 40 years ago and drink way too much beer. There were a few pull tabs and foil pieces within 20 feet of the cellar hole though. Once you go to the the flat areas there is not much trash, maybe a can or pull tab once every half-an-hour.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread