Cellar Hole Second Run

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi everyone, This isn't the greatest of finds but wanted to share this story with you all. I mentioned a cellar hole I found about 2 weeks ago. It was made of log and red brick with mortar all over it. Was one of the weirdest structures I ever saw. I decided tonight was the night to go back and hit it again. I like to wait for a spot to call on me before I go back.

Last time me and my brother hunted it we got about 4 wheat's all from the 40's. He found 3 marbles that looked the same era also. We found various artifacts like nails, bullets and what's it's but nothing to get real excited about. Some what puzzled why there wasn't any coins or older stuff at the site we packed up and said we'll come back.

Me and my son got there and after about 20 minutes I found that small flat button. I then said o.k now this fits the time era of the structure. I hunted for about 2 hrs or so and found 2 more flat buttons about the size of a nickle.

I found a bunch of relics but no coins except for one Wheaties from 48. What time era would you say these buttons date guys. Late 1700's early 1800's. I am really trying to put a date on this place. That was one of my reasons for posting this stuff. To see what others think about the age of the stuff.

The button backmarkings are tough to read. One says I think triple gilt. The other says super fine strong. There hard to make out. The very Small one well you can forget about it on that one. Would like to hear your guys opinions on the site. Also do you think it may have been hit years ago. It's hard to say. It would be hard to find but not impossible. Maybe they just didn't have any money back then. I know it's not me or the machine. If there is just one 200 yr old coin somewhere it must be under a log. One more sweep of the place should get it good.

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts. Take care Jer

Attachments

• Cellar hole part 2 - buttons.jpg
    Cellar hole part 2 - buttons.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 428
  • Cellar hole part 2 - buttons 1.jpg
    Cellar hole part 2 - buttons 1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 424
  • Cellar hole part 2.jpg
    Cellar hole part 2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 428
  • Cellar hole part 2 1.jpg
    Cellar hole part 2 1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 433
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Had a idea and it seemed to work some. See the spoon in the second scan to the far left. I decided to look at the maker and seen the company hall and elton. I looked it up and got lucky and found a set of 6 of them for sale on a antiques web site. They date the spoon between 1840-41. They also wanted 29.00 each for the spoons. Was interesting to date that and atleast know that site dates 1840 at the latest.

Looking forward to hearing more. HH Jer

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds,

look on the back of the buttons and see if you can read the "makers mark"

then do a search for that/those makers name/s,

this will help better date the site.

HH

Lonewolfe

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Jer, nice digs,looks like your going to have some nice finds and hard work out of that site. I looked at a site last night that has a early 1800,s home on it that is run down. Hunted for abought an hour found lots of iron and what i think is a flat button look likes the one in your first pic, 3rd from the left. has a back mark and going to post in what,s it.May not be a button i dont know much abought flat,s. look forward to your finds,HH

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys, I would have looked the buttons up but I can't get a positive company off the back of them. All I can see are separate words through the grim. I know the site has to date between 1820-40. Just a guess but log homes started to fall out around the teen's and 20's around here. Since it is partial log and red brick and mortar leads me to believe that this may have been the style in that time era. Didn't look like they were rich at all. My living room in my house is bigger than the whole structure. Looks like they dug out more than a few area's to see what would be the best location for the home. I see big ditches dug about the same size of the house. To say that they dug it out and said to themselves I don't like this spot. The buttons weren't even found by the house. About 100yrds away in the woods. Probably lost while cutting tree's down or trying to get through the brush to get out of the place.

The pocket knife I found was really old. It was made of wood instead of deer antler. Looked really old. Don't know what kind it is but it has one of those little metal stamps in it to tell you I think. Thanks again for all the replies on this one guys. Gonna go hit it again tonight and see what I can find. Have to hit it hard now because it is getting grown in already. Maybe I'll get lucky and find just that one coin they may have lost. I don't think the place was ever detected. Doesn't look like anyone has been around this site since the 40's. If they did hit it they left way to many signals behind. Would have been hard to get it all just cherry picking it. I just don't think they were very wealthy.

HH Jer

F

Floater

Nice finds Jerdfx. I noticed you said that the buttons were found about a hundred yards away. Beside the explanation that the buttons could have just been lost while working it may also mean that the spot when first abandoned people just went and threw things around. If you remember where you found them and then do a site line back to the main structure was this along an old path that might not seem so obvious at first. Sounds great in any case. Keep us up to date and HH

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Your exactly right floater. There is a dirt road that leads to the house in the woods. It is wide enough for a car to drive on. I walk this road to get to the house. I noticed a really small path that veered off to the right of the road. As soon as I walked up into the woods I found that really small flat button on the surface. I also found alot of shotgun shells with some weird companies I never heard of either around the same spot as the buttons where found. Maybe that was there hunting grounds. I know where there garbage place was. I think I know were the out house was to. It's a very faint path that leads to the house. It made good seance when I started finding the buttons on and near the path. I think the road came later when cars where around in the 40's. Not sure though. Could have been a wagon road I guess at that time also. Looks like there may be more homes in this woods. I saw ditches with small piles of stones. I can't make out if they were dwellings or not. Or if it's just a coincidence that they happen to be piled up right where these ditches are dug.

I'm gonna go back tonight and keep hitting all the woods around the place within a 100 yrd radious just to see if I could find that one coin they may have lost. A couple trips isn't enough to fully scan over the grounds. If I missed one inch it could mean that one old coin there. The thing I can't understand is this. If this place is built in the 1830's and 40's maybe why is there a 100 yr span in coin finds. We have found about 6 wheaties here all from the late 30's and 40's. It's hard to believe they went 100yrs and didn't lose one penny.

It's got me stumped unless it was used for a short time abandoned then a half a century or so later someone came across it and made it a home again. You would think whoever built this place probably owned that tract of land. It's hard to say I guess what really this place was used for and how long it was used.

One other theory I have is just maybe the coins are to deep for my machine. But I highly doubt it. The older the coins the bigger they get. My detector will find a large cent at a foot the way i have it set up. It finds pennies like indians in the 7 to 9 inch range. It's not me or the unit I just don't think it's there. I was feeling a king george or something about to pop up yesterday but it hasn't happened yet.

I'll keep you guys posted. All in all I was happy to get the 3 flat buttons yesterday because they are still a piece of history themselves. The spoon dates to 1840 and got a cool assortment of early artifacts. I'm not searching sites to get rich or sell my stuff. Just to recover some buttons from some early pioneers who lived back in these woods and survived like real men is a thrill itself to get that close to the history. And to be the first person to hold that button in 200yrs. I could actually see a younge man walking through the jaggers and losing one of those flat buttons. It's really cool to go back into time just for the few seconds that that find hits the light of day.

HH Jer. Sorry for the novel here guys.

F

Floater

Hey Jerdfx I wonder if those ditches or holes with the rocks piled around could maybe be an old CW or American Revolution warcamp site or conflict.HMMMM

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
It's very possible floater. The battle of bradock the revolutionary war was fought here. Not to far away from were it was fought is this site. Maybe 10 miles away. Leaving soon to see what else I can turn up. Thanks for the interest floater.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread