Cellar hole

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
What do you all think. I have looked over this area a couple of times, and its near where a supposed home was located back in the 1800's out in the woods. This is the only place that I could find that wasn't swamp and is near. People have been using the area as a dump though and by the rusty items I would say awhile back.
I know that it is hard to see the depression in the picture, but where the plants are growing up through is the area. Those mossy rocks in the corner look like old foundation stones, and there are also a few inside the bank.

Attachments

• Copy (1) of IMG_4580.jpg
    Copy (1) of IMG_4580.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
If it was used as a trash pit I would get a screen box and shovel and sift some of it. Hopefully you will find some old items and it may be worth digging out. Some old bottles would be nice finds as well. I would at least dig enough stuff to try and date it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best thing about cellar holes is taht they are small and defined.

Hit the hold and "cherry pick" with iron discriminated out for coins and buttons. Then go back and hit it again in All Metal or very little discrimination (both my Muskt and F-75 hit better in discrimination mode but with the level turned to minimal disc.).

Then scrape off the area a few inches with a gravel rake (if available) or shovel and repeat.

Then hit the surrounding area in an opening spiral or grid.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Woody14

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
Just found another one today while I was driving a back road, couldnt believe it :) On a road I have been down thousands of times. Pulled over and looked at it and found two bottles right on top, not too old, probably fifties or later. I walked around it a bit and seen a couple of rocks close to the ground that didnt look right. Moved em and sure enough there was an old man made well. Man im stoked, sometimes I think I have more fun doing research and finding these places than detecting em! Now to just find out who owns that parcel of land, and wait till a decent time of the year to search it. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread