Celt or natural rock?

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went back yesterday and once again dug for about 2 hours at the edge of the field with the same result nothing but a bunch of flakes then started surface hunting. the broken triangle was a fine example of what could have been, but i would like some opinions on the possible celt. The material is not slick at all but almost like sandpaper but it does have a bit on each end. 0603171217.jpg 0603171219.jpg 0603171222c.jpg 0603171219b.jpg 0603171221a.jpg 4 0603171221c.jpg 0603171222b.jpg 0603171222b.jpg

Upvote 0

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a celt but I have never seen one with a bit on both ends. It could have been a piece of stone used to polish harder stone. Very cool find.:occasion14:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id of kept it. The material doesnt look rite for a chopping tool but the sharpening stone thing sounds rite. So whats the hafted one look like up close? The dark one.

OP
OP
T

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It could have been it was almost round where it broke i wish it had been whole i had the same thought about it being a drill

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I dont think its a celt.

I have found many celts and adz's over the years, none had a bit on both ends. The material appears to be a limestone or the like.
I have found much limestone in the 70's and 80's which where thin and shaped similar to native american relics Often with an edge; found these in the fields, right by cliffs and limestone outcropings.

I found a few celts in Missouri, and many in other areas of the midwest made of hardstone. Virtually all had peck marks and polish. A relic made of limestone would still exhibit polish if not pecking.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying it is a celt but a hunting buddy of mine has a double bit celt, was with him when it was found. My buddies celt has a wide bit end and the other gets small like a chisel. I'll try to post a pic.

OP
OP
T

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dognose i was thinking limestone as well and i think you are probably right but im going to hang onto it and maybe i will learn more about it someday. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would just point out that double bitted hardstone tools are not unheard of. For example, at this link you can see a reproduction of a Maritime Archaic hardstone adze/gouge. One end is a gouge, the other end an adze. The Maritime Archaic was a seafaring culture centered in the Atlantic Maritimes of Canada and the coast of Maine. Their focus on marine resources, such as deep sea swordfish hunting, required seafaring worthy vessels, so gouges and adzes are very common tools on their sites. I'm sure double bitted tools are not common, but I have seen them, though I have not personally ever seen a double bitted celt. Tomahawks, on the other hand, were sometimes hafted in the middle with a sharp bit on each end. So I think anything is possible.....

Elfshot: November 2011

OP
OP
T

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is amazing to me all of the diverse cultures which existed here before the arrival of europeans thanks for sharing that charl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread